PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

No Insurance - HORT1
needhelpurgently
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,380

I was pulled over on Friday by an unmarked police vehicle for having a headlight that's gone out. The officer then asked me to bring my drivers license and get into the car with him. After doing so, he carried out his checks and it came up that I was uninsured on the police database. Reason being that I was using temporary cover as the car was my mothers and I was only borrowing it, therefore due to the nature of the insurance they typically do not update the MID database.

When asked to provide the insurance certificate I only then realised that they hadn't emailed over the motor insurance certificate or any of the policy documents despite showing on the website that I had purchased the cover. I then proceeded to check my bank account to see if the money had left my account and turns out that it hadn't. The officer gave me a HORT1 and told me to produce the certificate for the time that I was pulled over and bring it to the station but as it seems right now I wasn't covered at the time but was led to believe so by the website and I don't know what to do at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:24
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:34
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Have you contacted this insurer yet? This is your first phone call.

Do you have anything to indicate cover was purchased? e.g. an email. (I'm presuming this was done completely via a website?)

The onus is on you to demonstrate you had cover.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
needhelpurgently
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:35
Post #3

The insurer being Veygo they don't have number for me to contact, only email.

and normally they send several emails, policy confirmation, certificate of insurance and etc but this time once I saw that it was all done and expecting the emails I went off without checking which landed me in this situation

This post has been edited by needhelpurgently: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:36

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:38
Post #4

Member No.: 317

So email them straight away!

They say they respond within 15 minutes during opening hours.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:39

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:38
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (needhelpurgently @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:35) *
The insurer being Veygo they don't have number for me to contact, only email.

and normally they send several emails, policy confirmation, certificate of insurance and etc but this time once I saw that it was all done and expecting the emails I went off without checking which landed me in this situation

So have you e-mailed them? (I note this is Admiral)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:40
Post #6

Member No.: 95,103

Do you have any emails from them at all?

Veygo is part of the Admiral group. I'd be starting with their head office number if they dont respond to emails. But you must get hold of them, get hold of them fast and ask why they didnt take the money and was cover in place otherwise you are going to be looking at a lot of points and very expensive insurance for the next few years.

+Quote Post
needhelpurgently
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 15:43
Post #7

I have sent an email today explaining my situation to them and will update with their response.

thank you for the responses

+Quote Post
needhelpurgently
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:43
Post #8

I emailed and was told in other words you didn't buy insurance from us

they also said we can't help you further

back to square one

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:55
Post #9

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (needhelpurgently @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:43) *

back to square one

I think, more accurately, you're back to square zero. No money was paid, no documentation was issued. You say that it was "...showing on the website that I had purchased the cover." Did you keep a screenshot or anything of that? If not, I think you have nowhere to go. No Insurance is a strict liability offence - you either had insurance or you didn't. You don't seem to have any routes which you can explore to see if a mistake was made and you are probably looking at a £300 fine and six points. How long since you passed your test and do you have any points on your licence?

This post has been edited by NewJudge: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:56

+Quote Post
needhelpurgently
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 17:37
Post #10

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:55) *

back to square one

I think, more accurately, you're back to square zero. No money was paid, no documentation was issued. You say that it was "...showing on the website that I had purchased the cover." Did you keep a screenshot or anything of that? If not, I think you have nowhere to go. No Insurance is a strict liability offence - you either had insurance or you didn't. You don't seem to have any routes which you can explore to see if a mistake was made and you are probably looking at a £300 fine and six points. How long since you passed your test and do you have any points on your licence?

I hadn't taken any screenshots, yeah my situation pretty bad however I just passed the two year threshold so I don't think my license will be revoked? can anyone confirm whether my license will be revoked. I've had it for 2 years and 2 months and no points.
Also what should I do about the producer I was given should I go to station and say I didn't have insurance or buy insurance now and show that?
rather confused.

+Quote Post
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 17:49
Post #11

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (needhelpurgently @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 17:37) *
QUOTE (NewJudge @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 16:55) *

back to square one

I hadn't taken any screenshots, yeah my situation pretty bad however I just passed the two year threshold so I don't think my license will be revoked? can anyone confirm whether my license will be revoked. I've had it for 2 years and 2 months and no points.
Also what should I do about the producer I was given should I go to station and say I didn't have insurance or buy insurance now and show that?
rather confused.

Failure to produce documents is a separate offence, so I guess you need to go to the station.

Buying insurance now won't help.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 18:10
Post #12

Member No.: 23,623

If the date you passed your test was more than two years before last Friday then you do not face having your licence revoked.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 18:16
Post #13

If you are sure the screen said you had putrchased the insurance then start with a formal complaint that you were misled by that, if you went straight out for a drive you wouldn’t know that no payment had gone and no docs sent.

No insurance will see your insurance cost next year near enough double so you really need to do all you can to sort this if you can.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 19:50
Post #14

Member No.: 1,326

I don't suppose you have insurance on your own car, which may allow you to drive another car third-party?

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 22:26
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (666 @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 17:49) *
Failure to produce documents is a separate offence, so I guess you need to go to the station.

I didn't realise that Midvale had a law school...

Can you explain the relevance of going to the station to not produce an insurance certificate, as opposed to not going to the station and similarly not producing it?

I'm pretty sure that the OP can't be prosecuted for both driving without insurance and failing to produce - as that would in effect be double jeopardy.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 23:47
Post #16

Member No.: 95,103

The producer might also specify driving licence needs producing so I'd just check and be certain he's not going to be caught by that one...

If you pull up the browser history there is an outside chance it may show the purchase page and the titles of the pages in the last few days. If you are real lucky there may be something usable in there.

There could also be cached pages in the browser cache. It may well be worth looking in there too - you may be very lucky and there is someting useful but I do think you may be clucthing a straws here sadly.

+Quote Post
needhelpurgently
post Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 01:20
Post #17

QUOTE (bearclaw @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 23:47) *
The producer might also specify driving licence needs producing so I'd just check and be certain he's not going to be caught by that one...

If you pull up the browser history there is an outside chance it may show the purchase page and the titles of the pages in the last few days. If you are real lucky there may be something usable in there.

There could also be cached pages in the browser cache. It may well be worth looking in there too - you may be very lucky and there is someting useful but I do think you may be clucthing a straws here sadly.

Sadly looks like I'm going to get six points, how long will it affect my insurance for, was looking to get a more powerful car but I don't know now?

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 01:38
Post #18

Member No.: 20,731

back to square one

If you're sure the screen confirmed your purchase, SAR them; there must be a computer record containing your personal data. The problem is that you have no way of proving what the screen said, so if they deny having any records pertaining to you, I'm not sure you'll have anywhere to turn.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 03:33
Post #19

Member No.: 34,394

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 01:38) *

back to square one

If you're sure the screen confirmed your purchase, SAR them; there must be a computer record containing your personal data. The problem is that you have no way of proving what the screen said, so if they deny having any records pertaining to you, I'm not sure you'll have anywhere to turn.

--Churchmouse

Your credit card / debit card may also have some record of payment being (or attempted to have been) taken. Might be worth contacting them too - even if the payment hasn't left your bank.

This post has been edited by Sparxy: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 03:34

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 08:13
Post #20

QUOTE (needhelpurgently @ Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 01:20) *
Sadly looks like I'm going to get six points, how long will it affect my insurance for, was looking to get a more powerful car but I don't know now?

For 5 years, will just about double premiums in the first year and then slowly reduce to about a 15-20% increase in the fifth year typically.

As this will cost you a LOT id really suggest putting in some effort, start with checking browser history and a formal complaint to them. Don't sit back throwing away time, get on it NOW.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 - 08:13

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 00:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here