PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bit silly but i paid 2 insurance companies for 1 car last year. Should they have noticed? Can i claim it back?
Roamingandy
post Thu, 29 Feb 2024 - 03:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,810

So, i'm not a very organised person. I got an email last week saying my insurance was ending, which was odd as i'd just renewed it.

Turns out one policy was ending and a totally different policy with a different company was set up fine, and they had both been active last year.

What happened was that my policy was ending last year and they were sending me urgent emails that gave the impression my policy was about to expire. I decided to shop around and bought a better policy, shortly after that my previous company auto renewed my policy with them via direct debit.

Obviously i should have noticed this, but i have a real blind spot for finances. Should the insurance company also have noticed that i was already insured and not gone ahead with it, or is it ok to have two separate policies? I'd quite like that money back, any chance they'll give me it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Thu, 29 Feb 2024 - 03:44
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
post Thu, 29 Feb 2024 - 12:24
Post #2

Member No.: 47,602

There's nothing to stop you having two policies, on the same car, but it just makes things complicated if there's a claim.

You say "I'm not a very organised person". I suspect that you agreed to autorenewal, and the insurer will be able to evidence that.

I don't give much for you're chances of a refund, but if you don't ask you won't get.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Thu, 29 Feb 2024 - 13:28
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

I think I was offered the choice of auto renewing when taking out a policy once, as opposed to having the uncertain term imposed on me and buried in the small print.
Or I might simply have been so happy that I could easily cancel auto renewal on an online portal, rather than having to spend 20 minutes on the phone to opt out of something that I never agreed to in the first place (and was never given the choice), that it felt like I had been given the choice.

I think I was offered the choice of auto renewing when taking out a policy once, as opposed to having the uncertain term imposed on me and buried in the small print.
Or I might simply have been so happy that I could easily cancel auto renewal on an online portal, rather than having to spend 20 minutes on the phone to opt out of something that I never agreed to in the first place (and was never given the choice), that it felt like I had been given the choice.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Thu, 29 Feb 2024 - 21:20
Post #4

Member No.: 86,040

Many companies are explicit in their "time to renew" emails. They tell you einther rhat they will renew it at that price or that it will lapse.

A noticeable exception to this has been Churchill. On 2 occasions they have told me it will lapse on X and auto renewed it anyway.

Check what they actually said in their email.

Most likely they told you they were going to auto renew (I believe this is a regulatory requirement). If they did your chances of a refund will be slim.

You can nake a formal complaint of course asking them to actually evidence your acceptance of auto renewal and complain to the ombudsman if necessary.

+Quote Post
rosturra
post Fri, 1 Mar 2024 - 10:15
Post #5

Member No.: 93,086

I had this happen to me once.

I'm sorry but , unhelpfully, I just can't remember the exact circumstances.

I e Whether it was my 'fault' for not noticing an auto renew, or the insurance company's for auto renewing without my permission.

But I was refunded one of the policies when I realised, and complained.

This may have been because it was an obvious error on their part, but I recall it was no hassle, no need for a formal complaint and handled by phone call.

Point is, it probably happens more often than you'd think.

+Quote Post
Steve_999
post Fri, 1 Mar 2024 - 11:52
Post #6

Member No.: 20,304

Even worse - I had my policy set up to auto-renew. Had the email saying it would be renewed automatically - shopped around and couldn't better it by much so let it carry on to renew. Realised about three weeks after renewal date that the charge had not hit my bank account and found I had been uninsured for that period!
It was quickly sorted with a phone call, and I daresay the company would have confirmed cover had I been pulled by the police, but I do wonder whether they (the insurance company) would ever have realised if I had not contacted them!

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Sat, 30 Mar 2024 - 10:37
Post #7

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (Steve_999 @ Fri, 1 Mar 2024 - 12:52) *
Even worse - I had my policy set up to auto-renew. Had the email saying it would be renewed automatically - shopped around and couldn't better it by much so let it carry on to renew. Realised about three weeks after renewal date that the charge had not hit my bank account and found I had been uninsured for that period!
It was quickly sorted with a phone call, and I daresay the company would have confirmed cover had I been pulled by the police, but I do wonder whether they (the insurance company) would ever have realised if I had not contacted them!

I had a similar experience 10-15 years ago except I was driving about for nearly six months. It wasn't until I needed to get a green card prior to trip to France that I discovered the mistake. It turned out that for some reason Admiral hadn't taken my direct debit. They wouldn't let me back date the renewal but insisted I had to take out a new policy which meant I saved a couple of hundred quid while driving uninsured.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 21:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here