How do I refute a blanket TRO?
potkettleblack
post Sat, 29 Sep 2018 - 10:41
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 8,772

Hi Folks!

I want to cause Highways Agency some pain. I've been commuting past four sets of temporary restrictions for months now, with no apparent reason for the restrictions, so I asked HA to come and pick up the signs. They cause bunching and queues, and probably increase hazard as they have been there so long that half the drivers ignore them: whilst the other half doesn't.

HA first response was reasonable, but then the guy talked to his boss and I got a corporate BS response, copied below. They say signs are up whilst they *schedule* works, but the TRO puts the restriction in place during "the works period". That would seem to be the main discrepancy. Signs were up before 30th July, but maybe this TRO supersedes an earlier one. The TRO covers 34 miles of the A12, and virtually every junction. Is that allowed? How do I cause them some pain so they only use restrictions when they need them?

Thanks
PKB

Attached File  A12_J13_to_J28_Signed_sealed_made_Order.pdf ( 104.33K ) Number of downloads: 146

T
hank you for your previous response and the details you provided regarding the locations of the speed restrictions you refer to in your original email to our contact centre. I have attached a copy of the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) as you requested. As you can see the TTRO is from junction 13 to junction 28 on the A12 and I think covers all the locations you have listed.

We do appreciate your frustration that these restriction can sometimes cause delays when traffic slows down but please be assured we will only put speed restrictions in place if we think there is a safety need for either the road users or people working in the area. Throughout the summer there has been repairs and maintenance planned on the A12 in Essex including the carriageway, bridges, slip roads and barriers. This maintenance is carried out in order to keep the road safe and serviceable and this is why the TTRO is in place.

Although there may not always appear to be work ongoing at a particular location it is sometimes necessary to reduce the speed of vehicles on part of our network which has been identified as needing repair in the future, but is not immediately safety critical. This restriction would then stay in place while the works are arranged into our schedule. This can result in the temporary speed limits being in place for a longer period as assessments show it is safer that vehicles slow down while using the section of road until repairs are completed.

I do appreciate we have still been unable to provide a date these restrictions will be lifted and the signs removed but I hope my reply goes someway to explaining why they have been in place for a longer period of time. Thank you once again for contacting us and if you need anything further, please feel free to contact me or our Customer Contact Centre at info@highwaysengland.co.uk or telephone 0300 123 5000.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Advertisement
post Sat, 29 Sep 2018 - 10:41
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Sat, 29 Sep 2018 - 10:44
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,720

Wrong forum. A mod will move.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bama
post Sun, 7 Oct 2018 - 13:41
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,323

get
The Notice Of Making
as well. they have been known to stuff them up.

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 23:16
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here