Caught speeding by variable gantry camera on M42 6523a
cliogerbil
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,429

Hi

I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice about something

I've just had a speeding offence letter come through which was on a variable gantry camera doing 59 in a 50 on the M42 Northbound which I think is around junction 9. I have been offered a motorway speed awareness course which I will take if needs be but I don't have any points on my license currently.

I have been driving the same route from Tamworth to Warwick twice a day for the last 9 years for work and am well aware of the variable speed limits in place along all of that M42 stretch and the fact that they change very regularly being a busy road.

I always have cruise control set to the speed limit or less (I like to be between 50 and 60 all the time for fuel cost reasons generally. .

I find it very strange that I would have been on cruise control which looks to have been set at 60 when it was a temporary 50 zone. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if the signs had changed (although whether the light up signs are on 50 or 60 is not always immediately obvious until you're closer than say a 40 limit due to the shape of the numbers)

I see the camera's on the side of the road flashing all the time even when there is stationary traffic which seems a bit odd.

My question is are the camera's set up correctly, have there been instances where the camera's or signs have been wrong or did I just have a moments lapse somewhere, put it down to stupidity and book in for the course as there's no point in appealing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Russell

This post has been edited by cliogerbil: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:50
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:42
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:45
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

A mobile gantry camera? Was it on wheels?

--------------------

+Quote Post
cliogerbil
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:49
Post #3

sorry I'm not sure why i put mobile there ( i should have put variable)...it was a static camera of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 09:51
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 10:45) *
A mobile gantry camera? Was it on wheels?

biggrin.gif

I believe they are HADECS3 cameras so will take an auxiliary shot of the speed limit signs displayed too.

I would ask for a photo to assist in the identification of the driver and they often supply the pictures. This doesn't stop the 28 day clock...

It is more likely you've missed the sign. (There's also a period of grace for falling limits)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 10:53
Post #5

Member No.: 36,528

It is very true that 50 and 60 on the overhead gantries are difficult to distinguish until the last moment and that may well have led to you believing you were in a 60 when it was actually 50.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cliogerbil
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 11:30
Post #6

I definitely struggle sometimes with seeing the difference between the 50 and 60 signs but i've never had a problem like this before.

It was also on a Friday evening around 6pm which is notoriously a busy time of day in that particular area of the motorway so I would be looking out for problems and speed limits usually. I also know exactly which camera it is that would have flashed as I have seen it flash many times before and it is very bright.

Is it even worth me appealing do you think or is it very rare that anything is ever overturned?

Thanks for the help so far smile.gif

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 11:35
Post #7

Member No.: 37,614

You have nothing to appeal - you haven't been convicted of anything. Follow this advice already given, it should confirm what the limit was for you.

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 10:51) *
I would ask for a photo to assist in the identification of the driver and they often supply the pictures. This doesn't stop the 28 day clock...

This post has been edited by AntonyMMM: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 11:36

+Quote Post
cliogerbil
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 11:45
Post #8

ahh right ok. No problem I will do that. Will be interesting to see the picture to be fair

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 12:40
Post #9

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (cliogerbil @ Thu, 20 Sep 2018 - 12:45) *
ahh right ok. No problem I will do that. Will be interesting to see the picture to be fair

If they supply, chances are it will show your car just past the sign showing 50. You'll kick yourself afterwards.

As already noted, 50 and 60 can look quite similar.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 20:19
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here