Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Waiting for NIP
Nomansland45
post Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107,362

Hi there,

On 25/12/19 I was on the motorway and I’m sure I saw a flash behind me when passing a speed camera. And I was definitely doing way way over the limit, I know I shouldn’t have been, already cross at myself for thinking the speed I was doing was okay. My question is obviously I’m waiting for the letter to hit my door mat. When would I expect this, obviously I’ve read the 2 week rule but I assume since it was Christmas it’s slightly different? And even then if it’s late, if I was doing way over would it even matter, surely I’ll still be prosecuted anyway? Any ideas? Sorry all a bit new to this and just wondered if anybody on here knew anything more than I probably do
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Advertisement
post Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:31
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:43
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Are you the registered keeper? (And haven’t moved/changed car recently)

The 14 day rule (only for the 1st NIP) isn’t any different over public holidays.

So if you are the RK then you appear in the clear.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:44

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Nomansland45
post Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:51
Post #3

Member No.: 107,362

Yes sorry I forgot to mention I am the registered keeper and have been for years and have been at this address 10+ years.

Thanks for the info regarding NIP. This forum has helped massively for me to understand.

I’m giving it another week or so and I guess it must be a defunct camera possibly. It definitely flashed though

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 14:37
Post #4

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (Nomansland45 @ Sat, 11 Jan 2020 - 12:31) *
And even then if it’s late, if I was doing way over would it even matter, surely I’ll still be prosecuted anyway?

It certainly would matter.

Unless he was warned at the time of the alleged offence a person cannot be convicted of that offence unless either (a) he was served with a summons or (b) a NIP was served on him or the Registered Keeper of the vehicle, within 14 days. A fairly recent example of success in defending a speeding allegation on that basis is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45668735

Mr Beckham was not the Registered Keeper of the Bentley that he was driving but he (or rather his lawyer) was able to demonstrate to the court that the people who were (Bentley Motors) did not receive the NIP until day 15.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 08:32
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here