Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dogs, Query
Lew
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 08:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,118

I'm asking this here as everyone is so knowledgeable
I came across several articles today about new laws regarding dogs in cars and I'm curious
Is there any actual legislation about having dogs in cars?

I'm aware that the Highway Code is only a code and not legislation but is there actually any legislation confirming this?

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 08:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 09:14
Post #2

Member No.: 317

Links to articles?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mickR
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 09:36
Post #3

Member No.: 9,919

here

and here..

Just 2 of the many quality press articles I found

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 09:46
Post #4

Member No.: 38,559

AFAIK, there is no specific law as, for example, there is for seat belts for humans or child seats for ankle biters.

But I have seen stories of Insurance companies reducing payouts because they reckoned an unrestrained dog was involved in a material manner.
How common or simply anecdotal "scare" stories, dunno.
It is not beyond imagination to see the Old Bill invoking one of the catch-alls like not being in proper control should they see a dog jumping all over the cabin.
Could even see it getting into dangerous or careless driving if circumstances warrant.
Could not point to any cases but can imagine it happening.

I would say not a bad idea to suitably restrain the pooch.... dog cages or belt systems are available.
Even a little dog can distract, a large dog could become a missile in a crash.

edit.... I see Mick R found a couple of the sort of articles I've seen.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 09:48

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 10:20
Post #5

So came across 6 month and 12 month old articles today!

Like any load, the dog must be adequately restrained, not new news.....

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 11:00

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 10:34
Post #6

Member No.: 54,871

QUOTE (Lew @ Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 08:33) *
I came across several articles today about new laws regarding dogs in cars and I'm curious

I'm aware that the Highway Code is only a code and not legislation but is there actually any legislation confirming this?

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."

My edition of the Highway Code is a little old, but IIRC it usually gives the applicable Law next to the rule?
Would it not come under "insecure load"?

This post has been edited by DastardlyDick: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 10:38

+Quote Post
mickR
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 19:18
Post #7

My pet hate (excuse the pun) are the kno6heads who drive around with an overgrown rat on their lap or worse, standing up to the steering wheel as if they're doing the driving!

+Quote Post
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 20:42
Post #8

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 10:34) *

My edition of the Highway Code is a little old, but IIRC it usually gives the applicable Law next to the rule?

There is no relevant specific law to reference.

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 23:23
Post #9

Member No.: 54,871

QUOTE (mickR @ Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 19:18) *
My pet hate (excuse the pun) are the kno6heads who drive around with an overgrown rat on their lap or worse, standing up to the steering wheel as if they're doing the driving!

One of my two dogs would love to do exactly that.....needless to say, she's confined to the back seat.

+Quote Post
Starworshipper12
post Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 23:39
Post #10

Member No.: 87,439

I have a friend with a Doberman who picked myself and my chihuahua-cross dog up in his Smart car for a daytime walk. The Doberman was riding behind the front seats while I was passenger side with my dog on my lap.

Only later did I realise our stop in Muswell Hill involved illegal activity (on his part), as a number of plain clothed officers swooped to arrest him.

Long story short, I was told by the officers (at my protests of being uninsured and unfamiliar with an automatic car) to drive my friends car home with the Doberman behind me, and my own dog loose on the passenger seat.

I was sure my dog would pass out from panic due to my left foot braking (searching for the clutch) as she flew into the footwell at every stop.

The Doberman was just chilled during the journey, but with his face inches behind me I did keep glancing back in fear.

This post has been edited by Starworshipper12: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 00:59

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 09:40
Post #11

QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 20:42) *

Apart from The C&U regs, reg100 para2. you mean?
(2) The load carried by a motor vehicle or trailer shall at all times be so secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position, that neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load or any part thereof falling or being blown from the vehicle or by reason of any other movement of the load or any part thereof in relation to the vehicle.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 10:50
Post #12

Member No.: 95,103

My insurance policy for the Landrover (which presumably is more likley to have large animals in than the BMW saloon) has a bit to say. I'm paraphrasing but it's along the lines of "only domestic pets may be carried, and these should be adequatley restrained by means of a crate, or suitable harness"

Presumbly they have had farmers sticking sheep in the back of Landrovers and causing issues at some point.....

+Quote Post
mickR
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 10:52
Post #13

QUOTE (bearclaw @ Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 10:50) *
Presumbly they have had farmers sticking sheep in the back of Landrovers and causing issues at some point.....

Was that in Wales ?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 10:56
Post #14

I would think so. Green wheelies only count as a restraint in Wales.....

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 11:10
Post #15

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 09:40) *
QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 20 Feb 2019 - 20:42) *

(2) The load carried by a motor vehicle or trailer shall at all times be so secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position, that neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load or any part thereof falling or being blown from the vehicle or by reason of any other movement of the load or any part thereof in relation to the vehicle.

No, I meant specific to animals, as the HC paragraph is. The HC is a bit mealy-mouthed in this example: it should say "You MUST ensure ... " and reference the C & U reg.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 12:11
Post #16

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 09:40) *

No because that is not specific to animals.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 15:59
Post #17

Not specific to animals, but is the specific law to the offence.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 16:56
Post #18

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 15:59) *

But the Highway Code makes no reference to the existence of any offence, which seems a strange omission.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 17:47
Post #19

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (666 @ Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 16:56) *

But the Highway Code makes no reference to the existence of any offence, which seems a strange omission.

Not strange at all if the Highway Code is simply putting a rule that comes down to good practice.
The normal is if the HC says MUST, then there is a law that applies, if it doesn't then there isn't.

Which is not to say that no law could apply, catchalls such as not being in proper control, careless or dangerous driving etc
Not sure about the loading one though it does fit...if a dog can be regarded as a load ?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 21 Feb 2019 - 18:43
Post #20

Member No.: 18,483

An offence, not the only one that could be used.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 12:46
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here