PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Drove over a central bl**dy traffic island.
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 11:55
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,593

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct location for this post. Apologies if not but this seems to be the closest I can find to post?

Just looking for some advice. I'm a pretty vigilant driver but early this morning (1am-ish) I accidentally drove over the side of a traffic island that wasn't visible in the slightest due to how dark it was and the lack of markings. I do realise some might blame me for cutting the corner slightly but surely it has to be better marked than that? A crumbling, unmarked mess in the centre of a badly lit junction? I'm conflicted whether to push the issue or not. Had to leave the car pretty much in situ with the risk of getting some parking fines. Oh well....

Think I need to just suck it up? I'm a bit stuck and don't know if I can afford the repairs this may cost. Front axle really took a battering.

Here is a quick image to illustrate what I'm saying.

Here are the coordinates for GMaps - 55°51'38.1"N 4°25'29.2"W

Cheers in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 11:55
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 12:30
Post #2

Member No.: 59,924

This is best in the flame pit section - have asked for move.

have you had the car looked at? certainly you can claim for things like pothole damage and an unlit island may qualify.

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 12:39
Post #3

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 13:30) *
This is best in the flame pit section - have asked for move.

have you had the car looked at? certainly you can claim for things like pothole damage and an unlit island may qualify.

Ok thanks. And that's what I thought but don't really know where to start tbh. Getting the car towed to a garage in the next day or so and will find out then.

+Quote Post
yen_powell
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 13:10
Post #4

Member No.: 2,852

Assuming I have looked at the correct location, it would seem that the road markings were last refreshed a decade ago. The illuminated bollards shown back then are now long gone, even the base light units have been concreted over.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 13:36
Post #5

Member No.: 317

That’s pretty shockingly awful...... I’d definitely be making a claim and pushing it.

Get lost of photos, include a ruler showing heights, get some at night as well. Get that all ASAP before they start fixing it.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 13:41
Post #6

QUOTE (yen_powell @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:10) *
Assuming I have looked at the correct location, it would seem that the road markings were last refreshed a decade ago. The illuminated bollards shown back then are now long gone, even the base light units have been concreted over.

Yes, it's the island where the concrete is crumbling into the atmosphere and where my drawn arrow intersects with it in my screenshot.

Would that just be a guess that their was illuminated bollards and base lights? Or are you viewing old imagery somewhere?

Thanks for that.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 13:45
Post #7

Member No.: 38,559

I would be instructing my insurance to claim against the council or claim direct or use insurance legal cover (if taken out) to claim.
We all know what should be there, this is an example
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5344892,-...33;1b1!2i40
It is one thing when some oik has wiped out the bollards and council have not had time to replace, it is another entirely when the bollards have been missing for a while and the council have not replaced but left the raised bases for the unwary.

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:43
Post #8

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:36) *
That’s pretty shockingly awful...... I’d definitely be making a claim and pushing it.

Get lost of photos, include a ruler showing heights, get some at night as well. Get that all ASAP before they start fixing it.

Yea, I'm thinking of doing that. I'm not normally one to create a huge fuss and start throwing litigation around over nothing but this really pi**ed me off.

Tied in with the fact that I'm nervous of not being able to afford the potential repairs right now.

+Quote Post
yen_powell
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:41
Post #9

Member No.: 2,852

QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:41) *

Yes, it's the island where the concrete is crumbling into the atmosphere and where my drawn arrow intersects with it in my screenshot.

Would that just be a guess that their was illuminated bollards and base lights? Or are you viewing old imagery somewhere?

Thanks for that.
Google Streetview has a look back at past versions options up in the top left corner. There were about 10 dates on there. You can see the lining freshly marked about 2009 https://goo.gl/maps/Xe8S44vsmPCGGLt76 and since that point the only parts of the lining remarked are where a stats company has put a patch in and marked just on top of the patch. The bollard shells and their associated base light units are shown in various states for a few years then appear to have been removed entirely and concreted over.

Base light units in 2011 but with no KLB shells https://goo.gl/maps/oChZ9uo2rFVnyaAE9

Base light units removed and concreted over now https://goo.gl/maps/ZA7GXDCtnsSJdgVX9

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:12
Post #10

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:45) *
I would be instructing my insurance to claim against the council or claim direct or use insurance legal cover (if taken out) to claim.
It is one thing when some oik has wiped out the bollards and council have not had time to replace, it is another entirely when the bollards have been missing for a while and the council have not replaced but left the raised bases for the unwary.

Interesting, might just chase that up. Don't have legal cover but might raise this with my insurance and see what they make of it. Not hoping for much to be fair.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:15
Post #11

Member No.: 42,618

To be honest you don't need legal cover for something like this.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:40
Post #12

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 17:12) *

Interesting, might just chase that up. Don't have legal cover but might raise this with my insurance and see what they make of it. Not hoping for much to be fair.

Thanks.

It is an accident, that is what insurance is for.
Obviously, claiming could well affect your no claims discount but assuming fully comp, the car will be repaired (or written off) without breaking your wallet.
If council pay up, NCD should be re-instated
Councils tend to take more notice of claims from insurance/solicitors but as CP says, no reason to need them except to avoid the hassle of being knocked back and having prolonged arguments with them.

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:50
Post #13

QUOTE (yen_powell @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:41) *
QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 14:41) *

Thanks for that.
Google Streetview has a look back at past versions options up in the top left corner. There were about 10 dates on there. You can see the lining freshly marked about 2009 https://goo.gl/maps/Xe8S44vsmPCGGLt76 and since that point the only parts of the lining remarked are where a stats company has put a patch in and marked just on top of the patch. The bollard shells and their associated base light units are shown in various states for a few years then appear to have been removed entirely and concreted over.

Base light units in 2011 but with no KLB shells https://goo.gl/maps/oChZ9uo2rFVnyaAE9

Base light units removed and concreted over now https://goo.gl/maps/ZA7GXDCtnsSJdgVX9

Don't know why I didn't check this first. Cheers, appreciate it.

This post has been edited by SaucyWeeTart: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:51

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 17:16
Post #14

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 17:40) *

Thanks.

It is an accident, that is what insurance is for.
Obviously, claiming could well affect your no claims discount but assuming fully comp, the car will be repaired (or written off) without breaking your wallet.
If council pay up, NCD should be re-instated
Councils tend to take more notice of claims from insurance/solicitors but as CP says, no reason to need them except to avoid the hassle of being knocked back and having prolonged arguments with them.

Just contacted my insurance there and after explaining the situation they don't think they would not stand much chance of getting anything from the council. On top of that I would have a £600 excess to pay even if they did get a result. Or so they say.

Might just go at it alone if anything.

+Quote Post
GAZ237
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:23
Post #15

Member No.: 24,831

QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:16) *
I would be instructing my insurance to claim against the council or claim direct or use insurance legal cover (if taken out) to claim. We all know what should be there, this is an example https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5344892,-...33;1b1!2i40 It is one thing when some oik has wiped out the bollards and council have not had time to replace, it is another entirely when the bollards have been missing for a while and the council have not replaced but left the raised bases for the unwary.
Interesting, might just chase that up. Don't have legal cover but might raise this with my insurance and see what they make of it. Not hoping for much to be fair. Thanks.
It is an accident, that is what insurance is for. Obviously, claiming could well affect your no claims discount but assuming fully comp, the car will be repaired (or written off) without breaking your wallet. If council pay up, NCD should be re-instated Councils tend to take more notice of claims from insurance/solicitors but as CP says, no reason to need them except to avoid the hassle of being knocked back and having prolonged arguments with them.
Just contacted my insurance there and after explaining the situation they don't think they would not stand much chance of getting anything from the council. On top of that I would have a £600 excess to pay even if they did get a result. Or so they say. Might just go at it alone if anything.

If they got a result from the council, you don't pay your excess.

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:33
Post #16

QUOTE (GAZ237 @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 19:23) *
QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:16) *
I would be instructing my insurance to claim against the council or claim direct or use insurance legal cover (if taken out) to claim. We all know what should be there, this is an example https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5344892,-...33;1b1!2i40 It is one thing when some oik has wiped out the bollards and council have not had time to replace, it is another entirely when the bollards have been missing for a while and the council have not replaced but left the raised bases for the unwary.
Interesting, might just chase that up. Don't have legal cover but might raise this with my insurance and see what they make of it. Not hoping for much to be fair. Thanks.
It is an accident, that is what insurance is for. Obviously, claiming could well affect your no claims discount but assuming fully comp, the car will be repaired (or written off) without breaking your wallet. If council pay up, NCD should be re-instated Councils tend to take more notice of claims from insurance/solicitors but as CP says, no reason to need them except to avoid the hassle of being knocked back and having prolonged arguments with them.
Just contacted my insurance there and after explaining the situation they don't think they would not stand much chance of getting anything from the council. On top of that I would have a £600 excess to pay even if they did get a result. Or so they say. Might just go at it alone if anything.

If they got a result from the council, you don't pay your excess.

I did think that. I even got the guy on the phone to double check with his superviser and they both confirmed it to be the case. Unless they're both telling me porkies, I'm not sure what to make of it.

This post has been edited by SaucyWeeTart: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 18:50

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 19:14
Post #17

Member No.: 32,760

is that bit the council's responsibility?
The signage says it's a private road.

+Quote Post
SaucyWeeTart
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 19:23
Post #18

QUOTE (big_mac @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 20:14) *

Not sure but the sign that is sitting at the side of Marchburn Drive I pulled into looks like this. I pestered them about 10 times today to find out if they've given me a ticket yet for pulling over on that street.

+Quote Post
DJ Lexy
post Wed, 7 Aug 2019 - 10:58
Post #19

Member No.: 86,985

QUOTE (SaucyWeeTart @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 20:23) *
QUOTE (big_mac @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 20:14) *

Not sure but the sign that is sitting at the side of Marchburn Drive I pulled into looks like this. I pestered them about 10 times today to find out if they've given me a ticket yet for pulling over on that street.

It's a private parking scheme in Scotland. It's completely safe to ignore any paperwork from them unless you tell them who the driver is (since they can only go after the driver and not the registered keeper).

You didn't voluntarily phone a private parking company, admit to breaking their "rules", and identify yourself as the driver, did you?

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Wed, 7 Aug 2019 - 11:10
Post #20

Member No.: 21,992

QUOTE (DJ Lexy @ Wed, 7 Aug 2019 - 11:58) *
It's a private parking scheme in Scotland. It's completely safe to ignore any paperwork from them unless you tell them who the driver is (since they can only go after the driver and not the registered keeper).

You didn't voluntarily phone a private parking company, admit to breaking their "rules", and identify yourself as the driver, did you?

What has this got to do with the price of fish? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 20th September 2019 - 00:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.