PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Replying to BW Legal, Threads merged
Perryqhill
post Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 10:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,392

Hi. Just arrived at the forum after being reccommended here over at MSE forums. I've been posting a while over there initially because of a PCN issues by VCS and now BW Legal are involved.

Back in March (1/3/16) I parked in a car park I use for work three times a week. As usual I paid and displayed. Unfortunately for whatever reason when I came back to the car I had a parking charge notice for £60 as the ticket I'd purchased wasn't displayed and had flipped upside down onto the dashboard.

I first emailed VCS a copy of the ticket explaining the weather conditions must have caused the ticket to move in the car. They replied with a letter stating that my ticket was not displayed correctly and as no mitigating circumstances have been given they saw no reason to warrant cancellation of the notice.

I then replied stating they didn't provide tickets which stick on and that they were welcome to take me to court.

Since then we've had three more similar letters from VCS each one becoming more 'urgent' and we haven't responded.

In mid June 2016 we got a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd asking for £160 which we ignored. They followed up that letter (16th July) with similar trying to frighten us into paying with a letter talking about landmark ruling Beavis v Parking Eye. After taking advice elsewhere I chose to ignore said letters.

Then in December (around the 10th) 2016 I started recieving correspondence from BW Legal asking for the amount of £100PCN plus initial legal costs of £60. It states they require payment in full within 16 days of the letter and if we fail to do so or provide reasons for non payment in that time frame they will see their clients instructions to commence legal proceeding against us in the form of a county court claim form in the county court.

Needing a response and not being sure what to reply with, I went with the below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Your reference ******

I deny any debt to Vehicle Control Services Ltd and refer you to my initial response to your client regarding the ticket I purchased on the day of the alleged offence and retain to this day.

Regarding your intention to claim £60 for legal costs, I refer you to CPR 27.14.

If your client intends court proceedings, please provide a properly formatted Letter Before Claim that fully complies with the requirements of the Practice Direction on Pre-action conduct and Protocols.
I will then be in a position to provide a more detailed response.

Yours Faithfully

They initially responsed Thurday this week with a letter stating they hadn't recieved a response, now today they've replied with:

We refer to the above matter and your recent correspondence.

Our Client is seeking recovery of the PCN recovery costs n the sum of £54. We refer you to the bottom of the Tariff Board, which states, '[the Claimant} will be entitled to take legal proceeding to recover any outstnading charges, including interest and any addition costs incurred.'

We confirm Our Client elects to rely on the court of appeal ruling in Chaplair Limited v Kumari [2015] EWCA Civ 798, 'that does not alter the fact that it remains a contractual entitlement which the court will enforce subject to its equitable power to disallow unreasonable expenses. There is nothing in the rule making powers in respect of the CPR which enable the rules to exclude or override that contractual entitlement and I therefore agree with Arden LJ that the judge had jurisdiction to assess the costs free from any restraints imposed by CPR 27.14.

Obviously through the course of the weekend I've got bit of reading to do on these thing to get a reply together. The BTW car is registered in my partners name. I replied early on with a scanned image of the parking ticket from the day admitting I was driving on the day in question. I'll upload a couple of images of the signs up in the car park.

One of the parking notices in the car park:

This post has been edited by Perryqhill: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 10:46
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ostell
post Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 12:41
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,457

There's also, unlike Beavis, no mention of any sum involved for failing to display so how can you contract for any sum?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Perryqhill   Replying to BW Legal   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 10:38
- - Gan   Chaplair concerned a housing agreement in which th...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 11:42
|- - Perryqhill   QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 11:4...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 14:07
- - ManxRed   Are all the parking signs like that one, or are th...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 11:58
- - Lynnzer   Love it. I mean I LOVE IT That sign is going to b...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 12:22
- - ostell   There's also, unlike Beavis, no mention of any...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 12:41
- - Gan   Do the tickets have serial numbers on the back so ...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 14:20
|- - Perryqhill   QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 14:2...   Mon, 23 Jan 2017 - 21:04
- - ManxRed   The first sign is terrible. As mentioned, it conta...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 17:46
- - ostell   And the alternative condition is Registered Visito...   Sat, 21 Jan 2017 - 18:05
- - Perryqhill   Hi guys. Back in 2016 and 2017 I was fighting this...   Sun, 5 May 2019 - 09:02
- - ostell   This sounds like railway stating parking, or simil...   Sun, 5 May 2019 - 10:59
|- - Perryqhill   QUOTE (ostell @ Sun, 5 May 2019 - 11...   Wed, 8 May 2019 - 15:49
- - Redivi   Can't see any mention of railway parking and d...   Sun, 5 May 2019 - 14:03
- - Redivi   As soon as the name and address for the driver has...   Wed, 8 May 2019 - 16:30
|- - Perryqhill   QUOTE (Redivi @ Wed, 8 May 2019 - 17...   Wed, 15 May 2019 - 16:27
- - Perryqhill   Thanks I'll get that sorted.   Wed, 8 May 2019 - 18:35
- - The Rookie   This thread? http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s...   Thu, 9 May 2019 - 08:06
|- - Perryqhill   QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 9 May 2019 - 09...   Fri, 10 May 2019 - 16:07
- - Redivi   I personally wouldn't provide a copy of the ti...   Wed, 15 May 2019 - 17:20
- - Perryqhill   Fair enough. I've got it sorted to send now. T...   Wed, 15 May 2019 - 17:44

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 12:21
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here