PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Whats Better To Take To Speeding Rap Or The S172 Penalty?
invictus
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,333

Hiya,

got my NIP, no mistakes, haven't replied yet, still plenty of time.

My question, is it better to not reply and take the penalty from a s172 offense or admit the speeding offense.

Details: 38 in a 30 zone, alleged offense caught on a mobile camera van. (Also 38 is with ACPO plus 4, any change of the speed awareness course thing? I'm in West Yorkshire).

If I go for a s172 do I have to notify my insurers of conviction under the road traffic act? i.e. which offense will have the least implications form my insurance premiums?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:18
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Mika
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:21
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard (including the detailed questions reached by clicking on the Additional Questions button on the second page), and the Wizard will then post its output back here to enable us to help you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:25
Post #3

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Why on earth would you want to take a guaranteed 6 points for an S172 offence, rather than a likely COFP and in any case only 3 points for the speeding?

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
invictus
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:26
Post #4

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - September 2008
Date of the NIP: - 3 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 4 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A629 Keighley
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Mobile speed cam in a van.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:26:32 +0100

+Quote Post
cjard
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:27
Post #5

Member No.: 15,129

Your speed is pretty low, so the course may be possible; you can always phone the s.camera office and ask them what the threshold is. Now let's balance the rest of it up:

38 in a 30 would highly likely see you with a fixed penalty of £60/3 points. If the 3 points would see you totting up to 12, you'll have to go to court to argue for keeping your licence. 2 million speeding tickets are handed out every year, and are becoming so common that insurance companies don't load premiums much (unless you have a history of repeat offences) - think about it commercially; if it is becoming rare to ahve a licence without speeding points on, and you load heavily for it, but your competing insurer realises that speeding points are pretty much the norm and doesnt load for it, then any one of the thousands of stupid insuranc ecomparison sites on TV are gonna make that speeder migrate to a cheaper insurance from someone else.

Onto the S172, the penalty for which is decided by a court but it is a 6 point whack and a heavy fine (as has been seen by one guy here, being handed a fine of £900). Then you have to tell your insurer "oh, yeah, I got done for not providing information to an authority that had a vested interest in knowing it, but I swear down, I'm telling you guys the 100% truth about my car not being modded, garaged every night, with a tracker and a dog and everything else that lowers my premium..."
Remember the insurance co forms a contract with you based on what you tell them, and if you have a history of not giving important info, they are likely to look on that much more harshly than 3 points for speeding

Mmm.. Think about it.

+Quote Post
invictus
post Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:31
Post #6

QUOTE (cjard @ Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 08:27) *
A very usefull post....

Thanks that really did help a lot. :-)

This post has been edited by invictus: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 - 07:31

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 00:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here