PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Foreign Licence
luxardo77
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 07:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,242

I am a UK citizen, I have a UK passport and UK driving licence.
I am resident in Oman and hold an Oman driving licence and Oman resident permit.
Before I moved to Oman I contacted DVLA and asked for advice on what to do as I no longer have a UK address.
They told me to do nothing and there is no requirement to inform the DVLA I am moving abroad.

If I come back to UK for short visit I understand I can drive on my Oman licence even when UK licence expires.
My question is if I commit a driving offence can I be disqualified or given points ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 07:18
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 09:30
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 08:18) *
My question is if I commit a driving offence can I be disqualified or given points ?

Yes. If you have no valid UK DL, DVLA will set up a ghost DL and attach the points/disqualification to that. DVLA can't endorse your Oman DL.

--------------------

+Quote Post
luxardo77
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 11:21
Post #3

Member No.: 88,242

Does that apply to every foreigner ? For example, a tourist comes to UK for the first time for a few weeks, hires a car using his foreign licence, get's drunk, charged with drink driving. They will set up a ghost licence for him and disqualify him ? So if he came back (during the disqualification period) he would be banned from driving in the UK on his national licence ?

+Quote Post
localdriver
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 11:43
Post #4

Member No.: 22,300

If the person was disqualified from driving, the driving licence would be irrelevant. Any points or disqualification would be entered on their UK licence, or a ghost licence if they do not have a UK licence.

Unless it is a short term licence (medical reasons etc.) a UK licence is valid until the holder reaches 70 years of age.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 15:25
Post #5

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 12:21) *
Does that apply to every foreigner ? For example, a tourist comes to UK for the first time for a few weeks, hires a car using his foreign licence, get's drunk, charged with drink driving. They will set up a ghost licence for him and disqualify him ? So if he came back (during the disqualification period) he would be banned from driving in the UK on his national licence ?

Yes, of course. Any country can ban a person from driving in that country, regardless of licenses held or not held. How could it be otherwise? Do you really think any country would allow a foreigner to drive on its roads with impunity? Diplomats are immune from local laws, but their immunity can be withdrawn by their home country, and they can always be expelled from the host country.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 15:39
Post #6

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 16:25) *
QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 12:21) *

Yes, of course. Any country can ban a person from driving in that country, regardless of licenses held or not held. How could it be otherwise? Do you really think any country would allow a foreigner to drive on its roads with impunity? Diplomats are immune from local laws, but their immunity can be withdrawn by their home country, and they can always be expelled from the host country.

--Churchmouse

We employed a new sales rep, specifically to work in Europe, mainly Germany.
He was bilingual, spent much of his life in Germany though British nationality.
He celebrated a little too much when offered the job, drink driving, lost licence for 12 months.
But still had a valid German Licence.
Did not drive in UK, drove in Germany, no problems.
Though was touch and go whether employment would actually start given the drink driving charge, without the German licence it would not have.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 17:00
Post #7

Member No.: 18,483

If a person has a non-GB licence they should not keep that licence if they apply for a GB one. It should be surrendered to the DVLA - s 97(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 20:47
Post #8

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 18:00) *
If a person has a non-GB licence they should not keep that licence if they apply for a GB one. It should be surrendered to the DVLA - s 97(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The OP already has a GB licence.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 21:13
Post #9

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 21:47) *

So?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 06:13
Post #10

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 2 Sep 2018 - 22:13) *

So?

So they won't be applying for a GB licence.

BTW I took a look at s 97(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 & it only applies to EU licences. The OP has a licence from a non-EU country.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
stevensan
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 09:44
Post #11

Member No.: 45,518

I have in the past lived abroad, having a Philippine issued national licence and a resident there. On trips to the UK (holidays and business trips) I had used my Philippine licence to rent cars without an issue. I had a UK licence, however did not have the photocard as it had been lost years earlier, and because living abroad I'd never bothered to replace it. The photocard in anycase would have expired.

I never had any issue renting the cars using a foreign licence - one branch asked to see proof I was resident in Philippines, but other branches simply photocopied my UK passport and the foreign licence.

When I moved back to the UK I simply applied for a new photocard which I had within 1 week of applying. I still hold my foreign licence (which I use when visiting Philippines).

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 11:59
Post #12

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 07:13) *

So?

BTW I took a look at s 97(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 & it only applies to EU licences. The OP has a licence from a non-EU country.

Perhaps it was a general observation rather than directed specifically at the OP. This isn’t an advice thread. The requirement to surrender will be in regulations somewhere - if you use the tool on gov.uk it tells you to send in your licence as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 12:29
Post #13

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 12:59) *
QUOTE (nigelbb @ Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 07:13) *

So?

Perhaps it was a general observation rather than directed specifically at the OP. This isn’t an advice thread. The requirement to surrender will be in regulations somewhere - if you use the tool on gov.uk it tells you to send in your licence as well.

Surely you are only required to surrender a non-EU driving licence if you are exchanging it for a UK licence? You can exchange a driving licence from a handful of countries but most you cannot. An American taking up residence in the UK cannot exchange their US licence for a UK one but must take a UK driving test. It would be ridiculous to expect them to surrender their US driving licence just because they applied for a UK provisional licence

It looks to me as though there might be EU legislation that forbids a person holding more than one EU licence at a time which is why you must surrender your EU licence if you apply for a UK licence. The normal practise in the case of an EU licence holder taking up residence in another EU country is to exchange their original licence for one in their new country of residence.

--------------------

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 18:46
Post #14

Member No.: 9,683

It may be normal practice to exchange an EU licence for a GB licence if you move here, but not a legal requirement. The EU licence is still valid until you're 75 or whatever.

There's plenty of bus drivers where I work with EU driving licences and Driver CPC cards.

I'm sure there's been threads about this sort of matter on here before.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 18:32
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here