PCN for Taxi parked in Taxi Bay, Help!
*knowledgeboy*
post Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 10:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,512

Hi Guys n Gals,

1st post so please be gentle...

I live in sunny Brighton and drive a London Black Taxi, I have lived here for a couple of years now and have consistently use the bus lanes (as indicated buses taxis and cycles only) and parked in Taxi Stands/Ranks as necessary. But recently got a PCN for being parked in a taxi Rank from 11.00-11.01. I caught up with the CEO and questioned him as to why I had received the PCN but he would give no comment other than to appeal and put all my questions to the Local authority.
I have just checked the LA (Brighton & Hove) website for some guidance and found this:

Can I park in a taxi rank?

Only Licenced Hackney Carriages that are waiting for their next fare can park in a taxi rank. They cannot stay in a taxi rank for any other reason.

Why do we have taxi ranks?

Taxi ranks give drivers a place to park easily and centrally while waiting for a fare. Taxi ranks are usually situated where there is likely to be a need for a taxi throughout Brighton & Hove.

How do I know what the restrictions are?

The sign on the street will tell you this. If no times are shown the bay operates at all times, 24 hours a day and every day.

Furthermore the sign on the pole within the bay has a 'No Stopping' symbol and is worded ' At any time except taxis'.

Now, my vehicle is a taxi, albiet a London Taxi, therefore nowhere on the sign nor on the website does it mention that it is for 'Local Licenced Taxis' is this enough to cancel...?

Kind Regards,
*knowledgeboy*

This post has been edited by *knowledgeboy*: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 12:47
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Advertisement
post Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 10:31
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
clark_kent
post Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 10:47
Post #2

Member No.: 13,358

I think the point is that the vehicle is not a taxi whilst in Brighton its just a car, a licensed taxi in Brighton is defined as a vehicle licensed under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 whilst a London black cab is licensed under the Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869 and the London Cab and Stage Carriage Act 1907

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 11:22
Post #3

Member No.: 52,178

What's more, if you must only park in the taxi rank if "waiting for the next fare", only a Brighton taxi can pick up a fair at a rank in Brighton. So surely any taxi licensed by another authority cannot be waiting for a fare there.

+Quote Post
londonicon
post Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 20:54
Post #4

Member No.: 19,480

Your vehicle is still a taxi wether you are inside your licensing area or not.

Check out PATAS case 2050111757 Thorpe-v-TFL and as such allows you to use bus lanes, how this works with ranks outside your licensed area I am not sure, worth pursuing though, Maybe you had a fair from London to brighton and had to wait ?

P S are you the same "Knowledgeboy" on the LTDF ?

+Quote Post
clark_kent
post Wed, 23 Jan 2013 - 09:43
Post #5

QUOTE (londonicon @ Tue, 22 Jan 2013 - 20:54) *
Your vehicle is still a taxi wether you are inside your licensing area or not.

Check out PATAS case 2050111757 Thorpe-v-TFL and as such allows you to use bus lanes, how this works with ranks outside your licensed area I am not sure, worth pursuing though, Maybe you had a fair from London to brighton and had to wait ?

P S are you the same "Knowledgeboy" on the LTDF ?

What has a bus lane PCN got to do with a taxi rank in Brighton?? If you read the case it hinges on the definition of a Taxi in the TSRGD bus lane regulations, a TRO is written by the Council and having read it a London cab is not included. Even if he had a fare a rank is for plying for trade not free parking, if he was using it for that purpose its a criminal offence as he has no license to do so in Brighton.

+Quote Post
londonicon
post Wed, 23 Jan 2013 - 18:50
Post #6

Member No.: 19,480

I was just correcting your ill informed and incorrect opinion that a taxi becomes a car once outside its licensed area, and taxis can wait on ranks, it is only the first 2 cabs that have to have there drivers present.

+Quote Post
hcandersen
post Wed, 23 Jan 2013 - 19:16
Post #7

Member No.: 21,551

Are you Stephen Fry?
Having a vehicle made by LTI who whoever does not a taxi make, this only happens when it's appropriately licensed and used in accordance with that licence.
You did not state that you're a licensed cab, merely that you own a cab and live in Brighton.
Not enough info from you yet.
HCA

+Quote Post
clark_kent
post Wed, 23 Jan 2013 - 20:02
Post #8

QUOTE (londonicon @ Wed, 23 Jan 2013 - 18:50) *
I was just correcting your ill informed and incorrect opinion that a taxi becomes a car once outside its licensed area, and taxis can wait on ranks, it is only the first 2 cabs that have to have there drivers present.

If you are trying to outdo me in being ill informed you are doing well, I never said the driver had to be present I said they could only use the rank if plying for trade, A taxi rank is not a free parking bay for cabbies its an area designated for taxis to wait for a fare, in London that is clearly explained on the blue carriage office notice that is situated next to official taxi ranks.

40. Appointment of and Regulations for taxi ranks (Act of 1850 s4)

TfL may appoint taxi ranks and make regulations as to the limits of the ranks, the number of taxis to be allowed to ply for hire there, the time during which they may ply for hire and also for enforcing order at the ranks, and removing any person unnecessarily loitering there.

All orders and regulations as above are advertised in the London Gazette.

The regulations in regard to individual ranks are exhibited at the ranks concerned.

41. Taxi Rank Regulations (Act of 1853 s19 and s21)

TfL has made the following regulations for enforcing order at taxi ranks:

(1) Drivers to be with taxis (Reg. 1): The drivers of the first two taxis on a standing or any portion thereof must be with their taxis and available for hiring immediately.

(2) Drivers to be willing to be hired (Reg. 2): A taxi must not be left on a standing or portion thereof unless the driver is willing to be hired.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 15th November 2018 - 21:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.