PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCN Issued by Non-Accredited Company
hek293
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 16:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,896

Last week someone had the pleasure of visiting Bicester Hospital and made the mistake of parking in the wrong car park. Despite returning to their vehicle within 2 minutes to check after seeing signs inside the hospital, the predatory warden who was watching people enter the car park had already pounced on their car. Now, this whole thing in itself is problematic for numerous reasons but that all seems irrelevant because:

The company operating the car park is apparently not registered with either the British Parking Association (BPA) or the International Parking Community (IPC). The company in question is called 'UK PARKING SOLUTIONS LIMITED' and their web address is: https://ukparkingsolution.co.uk. On both the PCN and the website, this company claim to be a member of the BPA, however upon contacting the BPA directly I was informed that this company ceased to be a member in May last year. Furthermore, they are not listed as a member on the IPC website.

The person of which I speak would like to know the best way to proceed. My understanding is that PCNs can only be enforced by companies who are a member of either the BPA or IPC as non-member companies are unable to request driver details from the DVLA. Therefore for them to contact UK PARKING SOLUTIONS LIMITED themself would be counterproductive because it would give them their contact details.

More details: I am pretty certain that this company is operating a scam. They have a guy who literally sits in a car watching people enter the car park, then immediately tickets anybody who walks to the wrong building for the car park that they are parked in. It would have been less effort for him to inform this person that they were parked in the wrong place as he was literally five metres from their car but instead he insta-ticketed them. Long story short, there are a few medical buildings in this one small place, each with their own separate car park but this is not very clear because some of the car parking spaces are just along the access road and they all seem to be managed by the same company. Car parking is 'free' but only to patients of each respective building. Even if this company WAS a member of the BPA, having consulted the BPA's code of practice, it seems that they should have been given a ten minute grace period to realise their mistake (this was not the case). I have already reported them to the BPA.

Their current plan is to do nothing. My understanding is the company cannot enforce the ticket without my name and address, which they cannot get from the DVLA. I am also quite certain that they have no case against them because of the predatory tactics they are using when issuing these PCNs. But of course, I would like people with more experience to let me know whether or not I have the correct end of the stick...

Thank you for any advice on how to proceed.

This post has been edited by hek293: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 17:57
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 16:25
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 16:43
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

Haven't seen this outfit for a while

I think they can apply for keeper details but have to make a paper application

I would do nothing and wait to see if a Notice to Keeper arrives

If it does, ask the DVLA who applied for your details, when and how

If the company tried to save time and money and used the electronic link, the DVLA will have to explain why it was still available

The BPA is usually very interested in false claims of membership
A company can be a member even if it's not an approved operator - is it listed as a member at all ?

My understanding is that such a claim is also an offence that can be reported to Trading Standards

+Quote Post
Ollyfrog
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 17:01
Post #3

Member No.: 100,530

Would also be interested in just how many of those companies from their "extensive, satisfied cleint base" [sic] have given permission for the use of their logo on the website. Sole director/owner just turned 26 and company incorporated 2014 so he was 21 when he set the company up. Seems very young or is he just fronting?

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 17:01
Post #4

Member No.: 16,066

EDIT your post NOW to avoid identifying the driver. This is CRUCIAL.

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 17:15
Post #5

I think it can be assumed that they may rub their hands together with glee to get RK details without having to write to DVLA and wait for the snail mail to come back to them.

If this was me, I would make the usual RK appeal to reach them on day 26, having made a small error in name or address, eg Grene instead of Green. There response will indicate if they have followed PoFA and applied for RKs' details from DVLA.

Please post the PCN, redacted of identifying detail but leaving in times.

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 17:50
Post #6

From the website 'T R LUCKINS LIMITED trading as UK Parking Solutions.' That's a name that pops up in all sorts of shady places.

A very interesting website with contract and T&Cs. They also quote POPLA available:

https://ukparkingsolution.co.uk/contact/

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
hek293
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 18:36
Post #7

Regarding the DVLA I downloaded the paper form for private parking companies to request details and it seems that trade assocation membership is mandatory.

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 18:46
Post #8

QUOTE (hek293 @ Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 18:36) *
Regarding the DVLA I downloaded the paper form for private parking companies to request details and it seems that trade assocation membership is mandatory.

Indeed so. I apologise. It looks like that form was updated in April 2018 to include postal applications by PPCs.

In that case, stay quiet and don't contact them. IF you get a NtK, as well as coming back here, you should E mail SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gove.uk to find out who applied for the details. The response will be fascinating!

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 18:47
Post #9

Member No.: 9,897

yes PARKING Cos or any singular person acting in regard to car parking penalties has to use v888/3 or electronic link
any "civilian"£ can use v888/1 and a company (not car parking) must use v888/2

if they write to you then a letter to DVLA will (do nothing) sort it

+Quote Post
hek293
post Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:23
Post #10

For those interested I have received the below email from the BPA (names edited):

Dear Saint Nicholas,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order for a private parking operator to pursue a charge by obtaining the details of the Registered Keeper of the vehicle from the DVLA, they must indeed be a member of an Accredited Trade Association – either the British Parking Association or the International Parking Community.

I can confirm that UK Parking Solutions (also trading as T R Luckins Limited) were a member of our Approved Operator Scheme but left in May 2018.

We have asked UK Parking Solutions to remove our logos as they are no longer permitted to use these - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,

The Easter Bunny

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:31
Post #11

Member No.: 95,103

Now I think thats the sort of response that should go in a formal complaint to Trading Standards - and the DVLA too...

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:36
Post #12

Member No.: 96,238

The puzzle is why UKPS hasn't followed the usual process for bottom-feeding companies leaving the BPA - joining the IPC

Potential for a second strike here
FOI to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust asking if their parking contracts require the operator to be a member of a recognised trade association

This post has been edited by Redivi: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 16:04

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:46
Post #13

Member No.: 21,992

I've ordered popcorn. Extra large.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:49
Post #14

Member No.: 49,223

...and Tesco, Royal Mail, Spec Savers, Halfords, Pets at Home, Sainsbury's amongst others may not be impressed either.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th July 2019 - 06:59
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.