PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mobile Phone NIP
ttvw291
post Sat, 10 Mar 2018 - 23:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,963

So my wife has come to me today in tears, she works in Manchester city centre and has no points on he licence. She has worked there for around 3 years now and had no issues. However yesterday a colleague informed her that a "police CCTV van" goes round the city centre catching people on their phones at junctions and lights. Now she has told me that she may of may not have done this on occasion whilst sat in traffic. She is incredibly anxious that she might have a backlog of NIPs, does the 14 day rule apply or in theory could they dump charges on her months after the offence? Also how common are these cars and is it likely that shes been "done". PS ive had a strong word with her about the law and shes promised me it wont happen again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Advertisement
post Sat, 10 Mar 2018 - 23:08
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 01:04
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

No NIP is required for the mobile phone offence, so the police have six months to prosecute. However, they would need to know who to prosecute, so would have to get a s 172 requirement out in time to do that.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 04:32
Post #3

Member No.: 317

And how reliable is that information/rumour?

While not impossible I’d say it’s vanishingly unlikley they are doing anything of the sort, not an excuse to flout the law of course but not a reason to lose sleep.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 09:55
Post #4

Member No.: 90,659

I think several things are being conflated here.

The police from time to time "remind" people that they use mobile speed camera vans to enforce other offences, such as mobile phone use. Nothing new there. Because it is in the same system as speeding tickets it's highly likely they would be sent out to the registered keeper within 14 days.

Whilst there is nothing in theory to stop police using random CCTV cameras it is unlikely to be easy to get a clear shot from an indiscriminately focused camera compared to a zoomed in speed camera recording.

AFAIK 99.99% of mobile phone offences have come from on the ground police pulling drivers, or mobile speed cameras. Remember the cheapest way of creating a deterrent is to spread rumours that hugely exaggerate police capabilities. You often see that in the press and even on here with the police claiming they can use cameras to catch you speeding or on your mobile phone in impossible circumstances, e.g. CCTV vans, at night, in the shower etc. etc.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 10:02

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 10:20
Post #5

Member No.: 42,764

Actually several police forces do use dedicated vehicles to detect red light and other Not in Proper Control offences such as mobile phone.
The ones I know about are specially adapted Smart cars, and are very distinctive, fully liveried with a telescopic camera that takes footage from 4 directions.
They will not be moving though, and will be parked up, usually at busy junctions where offences are prevalent.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 10:34
Post #6

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I wonder how many of those there really are, though? My guess is just enough to generate lots of publicity in the local newspapers, not unlike the gaudily Battenburged tractor units that periodically appear on TV catching out truck drivers. I think the best advice to the OP's wife would be to stop worrying about it, and stop using the mobile phone while driving.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:06
Post #7

QUOTE (squaredeal @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 10:20) *
Actually several police forces do use dedicated vehicles to detect red light and other Not in Proper Control offences such as mobile phone.
The ones I know about are specially adapted Smart cars, and are very distinctive, fully liveried with a telescopic camera that takes footage from 4 directions.
They will not be moving though, and will be parked up, usually at busy junctions where offences are prevalent.

You have rather nicely proved my point. Google seems to draw a blank if you search. Could you link to a news article or even a photo showing them in routine use?

One might cynically think the police are exploiting confusion with the Google Streetview cars.

(For clarification, squaredeal works/worked for plod.)

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:09

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:21
Post #8

Member No.: 317

Smart cars with pilon cameras have been used by councils for PCN generation, never seen one as a Police car, I suspect a 2+2=5 scenario......

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
bill w
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:26
Post #9

Member No.: 14,341

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:06) *
QUOTE (squaredeal @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 10:20) *

You have rather nicely proved my point. Google seems to draw a blank if you search. Could you link to a news article or even a photo showing them in routine use?

One might cynically think the police are exploiting confusion with the Google Streetview cars.

(For clarification, squaredeal works/worked for plod.)

Here you go; Dicing With Death - Smart Cars

The text under the vis claims 500-700 offences per day, though the narrator states per month, so maybe a typo there.

According to Google, appears to have been trialled in 2009, though the video on the BBC site seems to be missing.

This post has been edited by bill w: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:29

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:54
Post #10

Member No.: 42,764

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:21) *
Smart cars with pilon cameras have been used by councils for PCN generation, never seen one as a Police car, I suspect a 2+2=5 scenario......

O ye of little faith Simon

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 12:05
Post #11

QUOTE (bill w @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:26) *

The text under the vis claims 500-700 offences per day, though the narrator states per month, so maybe a typo there.

According to Google, appears to have been trialled in 2009, though the video on the BBC site seems to be missing.

Hmm, I wonder how the police justified publishing videos of offenders for such a minor crime. Seems to fly in the face of ACPO guidelines. I'm sure the police wouldn't create "fake" offenders.

It certainly seems like a remarkable zoom from that camera, or people were using their phone a few metres from a marked police vehicle.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 12:08

+Quote Post
mdann52
post Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 18:50
Post #12

Member No.: 86,499

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 12:05) *
QUOTE (bill w @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 11:26) *

Hmm, I wonder how the police justified publishing videos of offenders for such a minor crime. Seems to fly in the face of ACPO guidelines. I'm sure the police wouldn't create "fake" offenders.

It certainly seems like a remarkable zoom from that camera, or people were using their phone a few metres from a marked police vehicle.

Or deliberately set up? (or is that just my pessimistic side coming out? tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Mon, 12 Mar 2018 - 13:12
Post #13

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sun, 11 Mar 2018 - 09:55) *
Remember the cheapest way of creating a deterrent is to spread rumours that hugely exaggerate police capabilities. You often see that in the press and even on here with the police claiming they can use cameras to catch you speeding or on your mobile phone in impossible circumstances, e.g. CCTV vans, at night, in the shower etc. etc.

I can't find a source for the TV adverts at the present time but on Scottish TV Channels there is a Public Service broadcast stating how many drivers are ,on a daily basis ,STOPPED for speeding ( then switches to stopped BY speeding and shows someone lying in an ambulance ) .The number quoted is quite high but every time I see it I think that surely the number actually stopped at the time will be much lower than those picked up by static cameras/vans

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 10:21
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here