PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

NIP Speeding in Woodford - from MET Police - 23 days later, invalid?
fairparking
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,461

Hi all, rolleyes.gif

I have a business contract hire vehicle, through my business.

I received at my home a NIP letter re: speeding in Woodford, Essex (opposite the Horse and Well pub) for doing 35 mph. I actually think this is a 20 mph on the stretch in question (for a short passage) however on driving past again, I could not see signs for any speed limit (will check again shortly) so assume it is a 30 mph limit – the NIP does not state the speed limit.

I notice this NIP was dated 4th Dec and alleged offence was on 12th Nov which is 23 days later, is this now invalid due to time?

What is unusual to me - is such offences/violations usually go to the Owner (hire company) who automatically pay a fine etc and forward on info to me re points etc but on this occasion they have somehow obtained my business name and registered address (my home) and sent a letter there without my name on it - it is possible they contacted the lease hire company but my name is missing from the letter (only my business is present) so I think they didn’t.

I also notice this is the MET Police and not the local authority sending me the speeding letter, does that hold any significance?

There is also mention of me maybe being offered and education course instead of fine + points, is this likely to happen?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks rolleyes.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:13
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:26
Post #2

Member No.: 5,183

Almost certainly the initial NIP went to the hire company who will also be the registered keeper, so then they would have named you and hence your notice. As long as the first NIP to the RK was delivered within 14 days (you could ask them), there are no further time limits on subsequent notices. They quite clearly say on the notice that the speed limit was 30, read it again.

The MET sending speeding notices is perfectly normal within the London area, why would you think differently? Speeding is never handled by councils.

You need to name yourself if you were driving, and it's extremely likely you will get an offer of a course.

+Quote Post
fairparking
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:43
Post #3

Member No.: 52,461

Thanks I will check in with the hire company. I find it strange they would have merely relayed the business name and address and not the registered keeper (I assume I gain that status) as its solely for my use and the lease is with me (although perhaps it is 'with' the business).

OK thanks for the clarification for 30 mph, that is interesting as I am certain it was 20 mph limit there at one point and I assume they have now raised it to 30 mph.

This post has been edited by fairparking: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:46

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:52
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (fairparking @ Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:13) *
...usually go to the Owner (hire company) who automatically pay a fine

They can't settle a criminal offence - the driver needs identifying so points can be allocated if necessary.

QUOTE (fairparking @ Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:43) *
OK thanks for the clarification for 30 mph, that is interesting as I am certain it was 20 mph limit there at one point and I assume they have now raised it to 30 mph.

If it was a 20mph limit then you'd be going to court...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - 20:53
Post #5

Member No.: 5,183

Unless your name (or company) and address appears on the V5C you are not the RK, you are merely the keeper. I wouldn't query that you think it was a 20 MPH, just in case it is! 35 in 20 would see you in court and at least 4 points.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 20:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here