PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Phone Scams! Beware.
firefly
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 15:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 298

Please read the information listed below and fwd, print off just let those you know about the latest Telephone scam!

The information is genuine as has been pushed out by NCIS (National Criminal Intelligence Service) dated Tuesday 27, September 2005

Telephone Scams

The following telephone related scams are currently affecting the UK telephone networks.

Scam 1 This scam involves a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all-expenses trip to an exotic location. You are then asked to press “9” to hear details. If you do so, you are connected to a premium rate line that cost £20 per minute. Even if you hang up immediately after pressing “9”, the phone will remain connected to the line for a minimum of five minutes. In the final part of the call, you are asked to key in your postcode and house number- which in any event should never be disclosed to an unidentified caller or third party. After a further two minutes, you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The bill by now will be more than £100.

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other phone companies are relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to dial “9”

Scam 2 The other scam is operating on mobile phones. A “missed call” appears. The number is 0709 020 3840.

(The last four numbers may vary, but the first four remain the same). If you call this number back, you will be charged at £50 per minute.

Do not call back any number beginning 709.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 15:26
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
BikerPaul
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 15:35
Post #2

Member No.: 3,461

QUOTE (firefly)
Please read the information listed below and fwd, print off just let those you know about the latest Telephone scam!

The information is genuine as has been pushed out by NCIS (National Criminal Intelligence Service) dated Tuesday 27, September 2005

Telephone Scams

The following telephone related scams are currently affecting the UK telephone networks.

Scam 1 This scam involves a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all-expenses trip to an exotic location. You are then asked to press “9” to hear details. If you do so, you are connected to a premium rate line that cost £20 per minute. Even if you hang up immediately after pressing “9”, the phone will remain connected to the line for a minimum of five minutes. In the final part of the call, you are asked to key in your postcode and house number- which in any event should never be disclosed to an unidentified caller or third party. After a further two minutes, you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The bill by now will be more than £100.

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other phone companies are relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to dial “9”

Scam 2 The other scam is operating on mobile phones. A “missed call” appears. The number is 0709 020 3840.

(The last four numbers may vary, but the first four remain the same). If you call this number back, you will be charged at £50 per minute.

Do not call back any number beginning 709.

These are both false.

1) There is no way that you can be charged when receiving a call unless called "reverse charge". There has never been a case of anyone being charged in this way. There are no numbers in the UK charged at mroe that £1.50 per minute, and all such numbers start 09...

2) The 709 scam is a US scam, and not relevant to the UK. 0709 is a valid "personal number" range, which charges 12.5p at Wekends, 25p at Evenings and 37.5p during the day. many people use these "follow me" numbers.

in the US, 709 area code is offshore, thus charged as an International Toll call.

BTW, the NCIS website has NO report about these alleged scams whatsoever.

Please ensure your information is acurate before posting these hoaxes.

--------------------
Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to burn the gatso's I chop down

Fraudulent appeals companies found - 7.
Fraudulent appeals companies closed down - 6.
Number of directors caught wrongfully trading - 8.
Number of Shadow Directors charged and convicted - 1.

Don't forget that there are a lot of armchair lawyers everywhere on the internet. People who will actually come to court with you are few and far between.

I am one of those people

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 15:48
Post #3

Member No.: 3,385

This is from North Ayrshire Trading Standards pages.

You've won a holiday the recorded message tells you. Please press 9 for further information.

Over the last few weeks ICSTIS (The Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services) have had hundreds of enquiries about this scam. It is claimed that if callers stay connected they will be charged £20 per minute and because this message runs for 11 minutes it would cost £220.

Please note this is not true. The highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute. So it's an urban myth.
If you receive an email regarding this our advice is simply just delete it.
For more recent information on telephone scams and premium rates check ICSTIS

+Quote Post
Insider
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 16:35
Post #4

Member No.: 1,871

FF,

You've been had  :oops:

Urban myths giving ICSTIS a headache
Hoax emails cause chaos

Dinah Greek, Computeract!ve 01 Dec 2004A series of hoax emails is panicking people into thinking they are at risk from hugely expensive premium rate phone line scams.

ICSTIS, the premium rate line watchdog said it has been inundated by phone calls from worried consumers who have received these emails and believe the scare stories they outline to be true.

One email warns of a scam that says people have received a recorded message on their phone informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday. The email goes on to say people who receive these calls are asked to press 9 to hear further details and when they do are e connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line. This will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.

Another email says some people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.

ICSTIS said none of this is true. While the emails could be a malicious hoax, it said they could be a variation on a well-intentioned warning a few years ago. But with the publicity being generated about the genuine problem of rogue dialers changing people's dial up internet connections, ICSTIS said it understood the fear these emails could generate.

"We believe these emails started off years ago from a neighborhood watch liaison office in Northampton who got the facts wrong. But then it has been blown out of proportion and there are so many variations now. But these scams just can't happen. Premium rate tariffs of £20 per minute and £50 per minute do not exist - [b]the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute
," an ICSTIS spokesman told Computeractive.

He also said that despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams', most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand.

"We have had people claim they have been victims but when they produce their phone bill there are none of these charges appearing so they realize it is not true," he said.

ICSTIS also said it was having to ask the telecoms companies to educate their customer help lines because some are telling people it can happen.

"This is silly, they are the ones who set the tariffs and they should make sure their staff know what is going on," he said.

People should just delete the emails and not forward them to anyone as it just perpetuates the myth.

Whooops, do you fancy 'deleting' this thread  :idea:

--------------------

+Quote Post
firefly
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 18:25
Post #5

QUOTE (Insider)
FF,

You've been had  icon_redface.gif

<...>

Whooops, do you fancy 'deleting' this thread  icon_idea.gif

Fair enough.  I didn't check it out, and took it in good faith.  I heard it from a credible source.  No need to delete the thread.

QUOTE (BikerPaul)
Please ensure your information is acurate before posting these hoaxes.

:?  

Point taken, but "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

--------------------

+Quote Post
jeffreyarcher
post Fri, 7 Oct 2005 - 23:26
Post #6

Member No.: 134

Bearing in mind your previous employer (or was it two employers ago?), I would have thought that you would have known better, FF. wink.gif

+Quote Post
firefly
post Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - 07:04
Post #7

QUOTE (jeffreyarcher)
Bearing in mind your previous employer (or was it two employers ago?), I would have thought that you would have known better, FF. wink.gif

icon_redface.gif  :D

--------------------

+Quote Post
flyin flea
post Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - 22:50
Post #8

Member No.: 1,839

Hoax! Ha! I am in fact unfortunate enough to have had several missed calls from said 0709 number, on the one occaision I caught it (a recorded it), it was a female voice...."Hi I got your number and just wondered if you wanted a chat. If you do, call me back on 0709 xxxxxx. Its not one of those international scam numbers, so you wont be ripped off."

I would like to upload the audio file for yall, but I cant atm.

Then theres the £2.50 text messages I had earlier in the year......advertising some junk or other.... when I got my monthly bill I found Id been charged £2.50 for receiving each text message!! I called Orange, they said there was nothing they could do about it. As the item (on my bill) showed that I had selected or downloaded a premium rate item via WAP and been charged accordingly (eg a ringtone). I never downloaded or bought anything!!

I then put it to Orange that they are offering my mobile phone bill as a 'credit card like facility'.
i.e. With my phone, I can buy things (ringtones, logos), I can be charged for things (London congestion charge)

The credit card companies go to great lengths to prevent fraudulent charges, ......refunding the ripped off card owner, and then going to great lengths to seek out and prosecute the fraud.

I asked if Orange were also taking this stance and would they do anythig to prevent further fraudulent charges against my phone bill.
Answer: "No. And we have no intentions of doing this within the foreseeable future." ohmy.gif

Check every line of your mobile phone bill!

--------------------
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...
AMEN

+Quote Post
Insider
post Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - 23:56
Post #9

Hoax! Ha! I am in fact unfortunate enough to have had several missed calls from said 0709 number, on the one occaision I caught it (a recorded it), it was a female voice...."Hi I got your number and just wondered if you wanted a chat. If you do, call me back on 0709 xxxxxx. Its not one of those international scam numbers, so you wont be ripped off."

Err, but thats a "personal number" not a "premium rate" and as has been said before, the maximum UK premium rate charge permissible by ICSTIS is £1.50 per minute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
flyin flea
post Mon, 10 Oct 2005 - 20:42
Post #10

No, not disputin the call charge costs...... jus sayin said scam/number does actually exist...... and is still pesterin me! .....that Shelbys just becomin an obsesive nuisance now!!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...
AMEN

+Quote Post
pajaholic
post Tue, 11 Oct 2005 - 13:40
Post #11

Member No.: 3,568

Some time ago, these scams came to light. While the second scam (0709...) is false, the first is technically feasible. Both ICSTIS and BT vehemently denied that scam to be true, but the high cost of calls arise because the scam redirects you to a foreign premium rate service outwith ICSTIS's jurisdiction. The claim made by both that premium rate services costing more than £1.50 per minute do not exist is untrue because foreign PRS charges can be a lot, lot more. After nearly a month of emails between myself and BT, I eventually got them to come clean. It took a lot of perserverence and rephrasing of questions until my queries were specific enough that they had to admit the scam was possible or else lie.

A few weeks later, I got my very own phone call. A recorded woman's voice joyfully proclaimed, "Hi, I'm ringing to give you fantastic news. You've won a super holiday. Press 9 to hear details of this fantastic prize - yes, press 9 now!"

Needless to say, I hung up

+Quote Post
BikerPaul
post Tue, 11 Oct 2005 - 15:28
Post #12

QUOTE (pajaholic)
Some time ago, these scams came to light. While the second scam (0709...) is false, the first is technically feasible. Both ICSTIS and BT vehemently denied that scam to be true, but the high cost of calls arise because the scam redirects you to a foreign premium rate service outwith ICSTIS's jurisdiction. The claim made by both that premium rate services costing more than £1.50 per minute do not exist is untrue because foreign PRS charges can be a lot, lot more. After nearly a month of emails between myself and BT, I eventually got them to come clean. It took a lot of perserverence and rephrasing of questions until my queries were specific enough that they had to admit the scam was possible or else lie.

The point is, if you dial a UK number, you cannot be charged International rates even if it diverts to an international destination... Personal numbers cost a maximum of 60p per minute.

A few weeks later, I got my very own phone call. A recorded woman's voice joyfully proclaimed, "Hi, I'm ringing to give you fantastic news. You've won a super holiday. Press 9 to hear details of this fantastic prize - yes, press 9 now!"

If you had pressed 9, it would have cost you nothing but time.

I did not say the calls did not exist - they do. But they are not the £000's scams suggested.

--------------------
Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to burn the gatso's I chop down

Don't forget that there are a lot of armchair lawyers everywhere on the internet. People who will actually come to court with you are few and far between.

I am one of those people

+Quote Post
Insider
post Tue, 11 Oct 2005 - 21:05
Post #13

After nearly a month of emails between myself and BT, I eventually got them to come clean

So as confirmation, can we please see the emails  :idea: I'm sure ICSTIS would love to revise their guidance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
g_attrill
post Wed, 12 Oct 2005 - 09:39
Post #14

Member No.: 412

QUOTE (pajaholic)

The "press 9" is just so they can detect an answering machine, it has nothing to do with reverse charging.

The only way you can be charged for calls on your bill is by dialling a number from a phone on your line, operator assisted reverse charging, automated reverse charging (eg. 0800 REVERSE), a BT chargecard plus probably a few others.

The only odd thing I have seen was a friend who had a dialler on their computer, it was dialling an international number which was routed through a satellite service. It appeared to dial up pretty much whenever the main internet connection wasn't used and was costing well over £1.50 a minute, they had a bill for about £800.

Gareth

--------------------
Found anything useful? Become a BB&G!

+Quote Post
BikerPaul
post Wed, 12 Oct 2005 - 11:06
Post #15

QUOTE (g_attrill)
The only odd thing I have seen was a friend who had a dialler on their computer, it was dialling an international number which was routed through a satellite service. It appeared to dial up pretty much whenever the main internet connection wasn't used and was costing well over £1.50 a minute, they had a bill for about £800.

Now that IS a real problem - but the dialler will have been downloaded by the user in some form or another...

--------------------

I am one of those people

+Quote Post
flyin flea
post Wed, 12 Oct 2005 - 11:22
Post #16

QUOTE (g_attrill)
The only way you can be charged for calls on your bill is by dialling a number from a phone on your line, operator assisted reverse charging, automated reverse charging (eg. 0800 REVERSE), a BT chargecard plus probably a few others.

Charges were made to my bill without me havin the pleasure....
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...indpost&p=75757
icon_cry.gif

--------------------
AMEN

+Quote Post
BikerPaul
post Wed, 12 Oct 2005 - 11:49
Post #17

QUOTE (flyin flea)
QUOTE (g_attrill)

Charges were made to my bill without me havin the pleasure....
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...indpost&p=75757
icon_cry.gif

Your MOBILE bill, not your landline, which is what is being discussed here.

Mobile bils are:

1) Easier to sort out - refuse to pay and port out.
2) Higher by their nature.

--------------------

I am one of those people

+Quote Post
flyin flea
post Wed, 12 Oct 2005 - 17:52
Post #18

QUOTE (BikerPaul)
refuse to pay and port out.

I prefer to stick with Orange..... Vodafone are technically inept in solving technical issues and seem to employ the brain dead, T-mobiles connections seem to be comparable to a piece of wet string, and o2 are somewhere in between...... in my opinion!

+Quote Post
BikerPaul
post Thu, 13 Oct 2005 - 09:09
Post #19

QUOTE (flyin flea)
QUOTE (BikerPaul)
refuse to pay and port out.

I prefer to stick with Orange..... Vodafone are technically inept in solving technical issues and seem to employ the brain dead, T-mobiles connections seem to be comparable to a piece of wet string, and o2 are somewhere in between...... in my opinion!

Move to Three - run by the people who made Orange the company that Vodafone bought.

--------------------

I am one of those people

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Thu, 13 Oct 2005 - 10:15
Post #20

Member No.: 3,385

Actually Orange are owned by France Telecom - nothing to do with Vodafone!

Prior to September 2003 it was a separately quoted company with both FTSE (London) and CACC (Paris) quotes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 20:55
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here