Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

80 on M6 Toll North onto M74
NNB
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 12:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,252

Hello all.

Last Monday (13th October) I picked up a new car down in Northampton and drove it all the way home to Glasgow. The dealer updated the V5 online and I received my new one saying I acquired the vehicle on the 11th October on Thursday morning.

As always when on motorways, I set the cruise control for 80mph from the M6 Toll going North all the way onto the M74 at Glasgow. Obviously at some stages of the journey I was doing a lot less than 80mph, for example, the 50mph roadworks sections, when the variable speed limit was 60mph and if there was someone in front of me in which case i slowed down. I observed cars and vans coming up behind me at 80mph so I moved in to let them pass, as I normally do. I didn't exceed 80mph at any point of the journey.

Now i'm starting to worry. I have been told from work colleagues after asking their advice and read a lot that I am likely to get fines through so I thought I would come on here and ask the experts, what is the chances of me getting fines through the post?

I have a clean licence at the moment, just hope it can stay that way.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 28)
Advertisement
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 12:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 11:14
Post #21

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 11:53) *
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 11:30) *
...finding one of the useful boards that tells you your speed, often with red Slow Down flashing at you.

I wouldn't trust the accuracy of those! Whatever speed I'm doing they seem to trigger!

The ones that indicate an actual speed seem to be quite accurate. The kind that just flash a roundel or a naggy message can be all over the place, IME.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
NNB
post Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 11:57
Post #22

I remember back in 2013 I had just purchased a Mercedes after owning BMW's for the 8 years previous. I travelled the A9 often and always sat with the CC on at 80mph.

The first time coming back from Aberdeen in the MB, I had the cruise set at 80mph and I ended up getting a speeding fine in the post. Thinking back, this kind of confirms the BMW speedo accuracy!

Although, I don't think I will have been that lucky to avoid everything, showing a true speed of 78mph, on my journey from Northampton. Fingers crossed though!!!

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 12:44
Post #23

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 12:14) *
...finding one of the useful boards that tells you your speed, often with red Slow Down flashing at you.

I wouldn't trust the accuracy of those! Whatever speed I'm doing they seem to trigger!

The ones that indicate an actual speed seem to be quite accurate. The kind that just flash a roundel or a naggy message can be all over the place, IME.

That's my experience, at least for the ones round here, they seem to give a consistent reading against my indicated speed.
Consistent enough that I reckon my speedo is reading about 10% high.
Which in turn means I can set my speed limiter to limit plus 10% and be relatively confident that I should always be below the +10%+2mph notional enforcement limits. And likely around the actual limit. Worked so far.
Use the limiter rather the CC for this as my CC is the dumb kind, will hold a speed but doesn't care what other traffic is doing, so always having to adjust to suit the bloke in front who is not holding a consistent speed.

Don't like the one local board BTW, that not only gives a speed and the nag but also the registration number... heart failure every time. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
NNB
post Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 16:35
Post #24

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 13:44) *
QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 12:14) *

That's my experience, at least for the ones round here, they seem to give a consistent reading against my indicated speed.
Consistent enough that I reckon my speedo is reading about 10% high.
Which in turn means I can set my speed limiter to limit plus 10% and be relatively confident that I should always be below the +10%+2mph notional enforcement limits. And likely around the actual limit. Worked so far.
Use the limiter rather the CC for this as my CC is the dumb kind, will hold a speed but doesn't care what other traffic is doing, so always having to adjust to suit the bloke in front who is not holding a consistent speed.

Don't like the one local board BTW, that not only gives a speed and the nag but also the registration number... heart failure every time. rolleyes.gif

With regards to the talk of flashing....

Last Monday was quite dull and I would have thought I would have saw flashes if I have been caught by a fixed camera? I do not recall seeing any (I wasn't looking for them right enough)
Do all the fixed cameras flash?

+Quote Post
NNB
post Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 15:48
Post #25

Update time.

I received my V5C confirming I was the owner from 11/10/2019 with a DOC REF DATE of 14/10/2019, the date I was driving back potentially getting caught speeding.

My question is, Is it as simple as if a motorist is caught speeding on a date XX, the police then check the PNC on date XX. Or is it usually next day or a few days after?

Just wondering as my 14 days is up for the NIP but obviously depending on the above I may need to wait a little longer......

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 15:57
Post #26

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Spandex @ Mon, 21 Oct 2019 - 09:43) *
On most of the Exx models you can code the centre display to show a digital speedo

I seriously doubt that! E21? E30? E34?

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 15:57

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 17:02
Post #27

QUOTE (NNB @ Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 15:48) *
Update time.

I received my V5C confirming I was the owner from 11/10/2019 with a DOC REF DATE of 14/10/2019, the date I was driving back potentially getting caught speeding.

My question is, Is it as simple as if a motorist is caught speeding on a date XX, the police then check the PNC on date XX. Or is it usually next day or a few days after?

Just wondering as my 14 days is up for the NIP but obviously depending on the above I may need to wait a little longer......

It all depends on when the police check.
Possible contravention on the 13th with the RK details updated on the 11th and docref of 14th should have put you in the frame.
But cannot guarantee as it all depends on when police check with DVLA and what DVLA show at that time.
If they checked on the 13th and you were not shown as RK at that time, any notice would have gone to previous owner.
If 14th or later, should have been winging its way to you.
Still a waiting game and FWIW, still don't think you will hear anything from the journey.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 17:06
Post #28

Member No.: 18,483

AIUI, the police don’t check with DVLA. They check with the PNC, which is updated overnight. If that is (still) the case then a DOCREF date matching the offence date will result in a PNC hit for the previous keeper, who wouldn’t have been removed from PNC until the next day.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 17:14
Post #29

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Tue, 29 Oct 2019 - 17:06) *
AIUI, the police don’t check with DVLA. They check with the PNC, which is updated overnight. If that is (still) the case then a DOCREF date matching the offence date will result in a PNC hit for the previous keeper, who wouldn’t have been removed from PNC until the next day.

I stand corrected thanks.
But basic is still it depends on when police check and what the records show when they do.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 6th December 2019 - 08:13
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.