Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 x Speeding NIPs plus No Insurance Issue
DaddyDude
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,305

Hello all, here’s my situation:

Recently I received a Notice of Intention to Prosecute for a speeding violation doing 57mph in a 50 limit area. I responded and sent my details back, acknowledging that it was me driving the vehicle.

I then received a second NIP for a violation in the same spot a few weeks later (the two dates are 3 weeks apart, but because my car is a lease vehicle so there is a bit of a lag and I only received the NIP for the first violation after the date I was caught for the second violation) for doing 58mph in a 50.

To make matters (much) worse, I then went to check all my car documentation and to my horror I found that my car insurance had not renewed as I thought it had. This now puts me at risk for two speeding violations plus two counts of driving without insurance. I am now worried about the possibility of losing my licence altogether.

I have a clean licence before this and today, I received a letter from the police in response to the first ticket, there was no mention of the insurance, just an offer of a speed awareness course or to take three points. I went online and the first available dates for the course is December.

Another point to add is that I am insured fully on my second vehicle which is predominantly the car my wife drives and is for social and leisure usage. It does seem to cover me for driving other vehicles as it states in the policy: “…may also drive with the owners permission a motor car that is not owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or leased to, them, their business partner or their employer, or is being kept or used in connection with their or their employer's business.”. Does this mean I am legally insured to drive the uninsured car I was caught speeding in or does that not help at all?

So far, it seems that the police have not checked my insurance situation, but I am worried that they might do so at some point in the process. If I just sign up for the course and then send off my second NIP response form, is the fact that I have two cases running at once likely to trigger the insurance check? Will I be required to produce my insurance papers at a later stage in the process anyway?

I am now also wondering if I should I be seeking professional legal help at this stage or should I just get on and book my course and send back my second NIP and wait to see what happens?

Lots of questions....Any advice would be welcome
Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Advertisement
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:13
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:21
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

It would be rare for the police to check insurance on normal speeding offence responses.

You will not be covered on the other policy as you said the car is leased to you? Or did i misunderstand?

Assuming you've not done a SAC in last 3 years, a SAC should be offered for first NIP, and CoFP £100 and 3 points for the second.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:26
Post #3

Member No.: 36,528

The police do not routinely check on the insurance situation of cars caught speeding, only if there becomes an issue for one reason or another, so no reason to think they will raise it. However, it is an offence not to insure a vehicle unless it is on SORN, and this is checked by comparing the DVLA and MIB databases, nothing to do with the car being on the road, and that offence does not carry points.

Why would you think insurance on your other car would cover you for a car you lease, when the clause you quote states "…may also drive with the owners permission a motor car that is not owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or LEASED to, them...…"?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaddyDude
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:30
Post #4

QUOTE (peterguk @ Wed, 10 Oct 2018 - 00:21) *
It would be rare for the police to check insurance on normal speeding offence responses.

You will not be covered on the other policy as you said the car is leased to you? Or did i misunderstand?

Assuming you've not done a SAC in last 3 years, a SAC should be offered for first NIP, and CoFP £100 and 3 points for the second.

Thank you for the reply. The uninsured car I got caught speeding with is on a lease in my name. The car I am insured on belongs to me.

Ive not done a SAC in 3 years and it has been offered to me - I got the offer in the post today.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:34
Post #5

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (DaddyDude @ Wed, 10 Oct 2018 - 00:30) *
The uninsured car I got caught speeding with is on a lease in my name.

And would seem to be excluded by "that is not owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or leased to"

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaddyDude
post Tue, 9 Oct 2018 - 23:46
Post #6

QUOTE (Logician @ Wed, 10 Oct 2018 - 00:26) *
The police do not routinely check on the insurance situation of cars caught speeding, only if there becomes an issue for one reason or another, so no reason to think they will raise it. However, it is an offence not to insure a vehicle unless it is on SORN, and this is checked by comparing the DVLA and MIB databases, nothing to do with the car being on the road, and that offence does not carry points.

Why would you think insurance on your other car would cover you for a car you lease, when the clause you quote states "…may also drive with the owners permission a motor car that is not owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or LEASED to, them...…"?

Thank you for the reply. It seems that so far the police have not done a check on my insurance - I am just hoping that it doesn't become an issue at any point...

Not sure why I thought I might be covered by my other insurance - wishful thinking / long shot I guess...

+Quote Post
DaddyDude
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 12:17
Post #7

Just one further question....

If I book into the SAC in December and send off my NIP today, will there be enough time for the fixed penalty to be sent back to me, then for me to post off my licence and get it returned back to me in time?

It says I will need to present my Driving Licence when I attend the SAC.

I just dont want anything to create a trigger for carrying out those further check.....

Thanks a lot

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 16:34
Post #8

Member No.: 42,764

If you don't have your driving licence for ID, you can take your passport.

This post has been edited by squaredeal: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 16:37

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 20th November 2018 - 20:44
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.