PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

For the forum luddites
stamfordman
post Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 15:36
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,924

The pay and display parking machines that take coins have been bagged off in our street for one time. My wife saw a worker removing the bags the other day and asked what's going on - he said the coin machines are being reinstated because the council is losing revenue as people don't park as much using pay by phone.

He said pay by phone is doing well at the far south of the borough in the City (this is Hackney) but not so much elsewhere.

So there you have it, cash is still (par)king, to coin a phrase.

This post has been edited by stamfordman: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 15:45
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 59)
Advertisement
post Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 15:36
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Ocelot
post Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:02
Post #41

Member No.: 1,326

I don't have a credit card. Can you use a debit card to pay these things?

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:10
Post #42

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 19:02) *

Ive never used either to pay for parking but I'd be very suprised if you couldn't so long as you have a + balance in your account ...you can certainly use a debit card to pay for petrol at the pump as well as chip 'n pin in the shop but Ive never done that either ..I've just seen the option

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:42
Post #43

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:50) *
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:22) *
If you don't have any money in your account that day, that's the point of billing to a credit card... What does credit mean?

Yet another assumption .That everyone has a Credit Card....FGS

If you drive a car it really is unlikely you pay cash for all your petrol, insurance, repairs, MOT, tax etc. And how do you get the cash anyway? There are unbanked in the UK but they are not likely to be running cars. How would you buy car insurance without a card or cheque? They can use prepaid debit cards.

Yes of course. Out of interest, do you think you could run a vehicle without a debit card or bank account?

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:46
Post #44

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 19:42) *
If you don't have any money in your account that day, that's the point of billing to a credit card... What does credit mean?

If you drive a car it really is unlikely you pay cash for all your petrol, insurance, repairs, MOT, tax etc. And how do you get the cash anyway? There are unbanked in the UK but they are not likely to be running cars. How would you buy car insurance without a card or cheque? They can use prepaid debit cards.

My reply was specifically in response to what you said about using a CREDIT card... anyway this discussion is getting silly...I'm off

This post has been edited by StuartBu: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 18:49

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Wed, 26 Sep 2018 - 00:17
Post #45

Member No.: 76,324

Sister in law is 36 and never had a credit card in her life, but I’ll admit she is probably in the vast minority here. My only gripe with paying by phone is, as mentioned early in the thread, that it costs more compared to using actual cash.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 26 Sep 2018 - 03:34
Post #46

Member No.: 317

I think there is an inherent injustice in forcing drivers to do the following to park
1/ Have a mobile phone, and for some systems a smart phone
2/ Pay extra for the priveledge
3/ Have a bank account with debit card or a credit card
I appreciate the number may be small who drive and don't have access, but its still forcing them to (often) pay more. If the council want to raise revenue from on street parking, its up to them to do it right, noting that removing meters SAVES money so if anything pay by phone should be cheaper!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Guest_Charlie1010_*
post Wed, 26 Sep 2018 - 07:05
Post #47

Guests

Maybe I left my phone at home, it’s battery has gone flat?
I tried pay by phone once and couldn’t get through. I tried the app once and it worked. The second time it didn’t messing about for 15 minutes. Battery draining etc.
So I had to park elsewhere and was late to my appointment.
If it’s not easy to pay to park then some won’t and the high street suffers further.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Wed, 26 Sep 2018 - 09:10
Post #48

Member No.: 60,602

Pay by phone is always a fiddly pain in the arse.

Paying by contactless debit/credit card is fine by me.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Thu, 27 Sep 2018 - 16:31
Post #49

Member No.: 39,245

Simplest way would be auto-pay where you just park and it uses ANPR to know when you arrive and when you leave and charges you the exact amount for your stay.

You'd simply have to set the account up once.

No need to guess how long your are going to stay either. You'd be charged for what you use.

Obviously would need something special to manage disabled badge parking.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 27 Sep 2018 - 16:41
Post #50

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Thu, 27 Sep 2018 - 17:31) *
Simplest way would be auto-pay where you just park and it uses ANPR to know when you arrive and when you leave and charges you the exact amount for your stay.

You'd simply have to set the account up once.

No need to guess how long your are going to stay either. You'd be charged for what you use.

Obviously would need something special to manage disabled badge parking.

The last time I used a car park was at Glasgow Airport and ( ignoring the scandalous costs) you got a ticket on the way in - no choice there- just before you left you inserted the ticket in the machine and paid by cash or by card what is displayed... might be additional options now like paying by phone eg Ringo . you put the " paid" card in slot at the barrier and it let you out

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Thu, 27 Sep 2018 - 22:10
Post #51

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 19:42) *

Yes of course. Out of interest, do you think you could run a vehicle without a debit card or bank account?

I have a bank account, of course, but haven't had a credit card for years. I prefer cash unless it's online or petrol.

I've only ever used contactless once as a curiosity, can't really see the point.

You wouldn't think I work in IT, would you, being a relative luddite?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 20:10
Post #52

Member No.: 42,618

I pay cash for everything. If I'm buying a product / service, I want the money to go to whoever is supplying the product / service to me (espeicallly if it's a small firm), I have no desire to give a cut to the bank, mastercard or visa, the various IT networks and other suppliers involved in the process...

The main reason for the current war on cash is that if you pay someone by just giving them some actual money, it's very difficult for someone other than the taxman to get a cut of the transaction.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 21:00
Post #53

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 21:10) *
I pay cash for everything. If I'm buying a product / service, I want the money to go to whoever is supplying the product / service to me (espeicallly if it's a small firm), I have no desire to give a cut to the bank, mastercard or visa, the various IT networks and other suppliers involved in the process...

The main reason for the current war on cash is that if you pay someone by just giving them some actual money, it's very difficult for someone other than the taxman to get a cut of the transaction.

That's all very well until you factor in the cost of banking fees, cash-in-transit charges, labour costs associated with handling cash, theft by employees, losses due to errors in processing cash transactions, robbery... Accepting cash payments certainly isn't low cost compared with electronic transactions for all but the smallest businesses.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 22:19
Post #54

QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 22:00) *

That's all very well until you factor in the cost of banking fees, cash-in-transit charges, labour costs associated with handling cash, theft by employees, losses due to errors in processing cash transactions, robbery... Accepting cash payments certainly isn't low cost compared with electronic transactions for all but the smallest businesses.

The marginal cost of an electronic payment is way higher than cash. Even for a large business, the cost of an electronic payment is unlikely to be less than 35p, while the marginal cost of a cash payment is going to be somewhere between zero and 1p.

Of course, if you're talking about a business possibly not accepting cash at all (and thus eliminating many of the associated fixed costs) the economics changes entirely, but I can't see many businesses wanting to do that at the moment (because even if only 10% of your customers pay cash, who wants to lose 10% of their turnover?).

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
bargepole
post Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 22:19
Post #55

Member No.: 1,353

My daughter, who must have all the latest tech stuff, doesn't even use her smartphone to pay for stuff any more.

She has it linked to an Apple watch. and can just hover near a terminal and the transaction goes through.

I'm worried that she might press the wrong button, and launch a nuclear strike against North Korea.

--------------------
We'll fight them on the roads, we'll fight them in the courts, and we shall never, ever, surrender
Cases Won = 20 (17 as McKenzie Friend) : Cases Lost = 4. Private Parking tickets ignored: 3. Paid: 0.

+Quote Post
jdh
post Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 14:34
Post #56

Member No.: 1,224

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 23:19) *
QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 22:00) *

The marginal cost of an electronic payment is way higher than cash. Even for a large business, the cost of an electronic payment is unlikely to be less than 35p, while the marginal cost of a cash payment is going to be somewhere between zero and 1p.

Of course, if you're talking about a business possibly not accepting cash at all (and thus eliminating many of the associated fixed costs) the economics changes entirely, but I can't see many businesses wanting to do that at the moment (because even if only 10% of your customers pay cash, who wants to lose 10% of their turnover?).
My local council wants to remove cash payment from the car parks and replace it with card/app, their argument is that cash is expensive to deal with compared to electronic methods. One of their car parks is short stay and 20p for an hour, how can that ever work if every payment lost them money? I would suggest the actual difference is a lot closer than you suggest.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 18:40
Post #57

QUOTE (jdh @ Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 15:34) *
My local council wants to remove cash payment from the car parks and replace it with card/app, their argument is that cash is expensive to deal with compared to electronic methods. One of their car parks is short stay and 20p for an hour, how can that ever work if every payment lost them money? I would suggest the actual difference is a lot closer than you suggest.

It's funny you say that cos I was looking at some pay by phone sings just yesterday in the council forum and they mentioned a 20p "convenience fee" that is charged on top of the parking fee for non-cash payments. I suspect the same will happen in your case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 20:53
Post #58

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 19:40) *
QUOTE (jdh @ Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 15:34) *

It's funny you say that cos I was looking at some pay by phone sings just yesterday in the council forum and they mentioned a 20p "convenience fee" that is charged on top of the parking fee for non-cash payments. I suspect the same will happen in your case.

In a public service we will pay for it one way or another. When it comes to cars, I'm all for loading any additional costs onto drivers and not council tax payers. The argument here would be whether councils should be allowed to outsource services to private companies.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 21:24
Post #59

Member No.: 22,424

Pay by parking is great. I hated it at first, but I never have coins- when I get home they go in a bucket and I take it to the coin machine at Asda the day before I go on my main holiday each year for some extra drink funds.

Nowadays, people paying cash for anything just seems ridiculous. You can lose it, never recover it and it offers little record of your activities. Digital transactions and card transactions allow full tracking and accountability.

The best thing they could do is convert all the machines to not take coin and to take contactless card instead. Contactless is the best thing ever made.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 17 Oct 2018 - 03:04
Post #60

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (bargepole @ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 - 23:19) *
My daughter, who must have all the latest tech stuff, doesn't even use her smartphone to pay for stuff any more.

She has it linked to an Apple watch. and can just hover near a terminal and the transaction goes through.

I'm worried that she might press the wrong button, and launch a nuclear strike against North Korea.

Your daughter is behind on the tech she ‘must have’ the latest is having an RFID chip inserted under the skin of your hand and paying by waving your hand by the contactless device.

Personally I chip my pets not myself, but the tech guy at work assured me it’s the latest thing.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 15:02
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here