Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Speeding Fine (Variable Limit), Caught doing 58 in 50
PCNdriverhelp
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 07:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,371

Hi All.
I was flashed by a variable limit camera last night doing 58/59 in a 50. Now I know it seems straightforward but wanted to know if the run up to this effects it in any way.

I had only just gotten on to the motorway via a slip road that was set at 50mph (roadworks-no gantries just signs). Towards the end of the slip road there was a NSL on the ground. Within approx 50ft, the above gantry said 40 in my joining lane and the others on the motorway said 60. I then got on to the motorway at 40 and went past another gantry where two outer lanes said 60, and the one I was in said nothing (I obviously assumed the light was out and kept at 60. Next gantry said 50, tried to brake and car to the side of me and mine were flashed. Ps it was 1am the motorway was empty, and I have a dashcam of the above.

I have been reading quite a few cases on here about variable limits and it seems to me that the gist is you can’t argue any of them. Just peeves me off that they can mess around like that with the matrix signs and ground signs effective catching you out.

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 07:57
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 08:12
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

Surely had you been looking ahead, you'd have had plenty of time to adjust speed for the 50mph gantry...

A SAC should result.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 08:23
Post #3

Member No.: 317

You may have been just under the enforcement limit of 57mph, however it’s hard to see how much braking is needed from 60->50 given how far away you can read the signs, it’s really not going to be an argument you want to put to anyone I’d suggest?

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 08:23

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PCNdriverhelp
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 09:47
Post #4

Member No.: 68,371

I was honestly looking at the signs and didn’t make out the 50. That sounds bad doesn’t it! And I don’t have bad vision. It was late and no lights and bright lights on the matrix made it difficut, along with the confusion of different signs throughout. I drive through these all the time on the same motorway too. Never seen so many confusing different signs. When I get him I could post the video? Or does it really just come down to .... I went 58 under a 50mp sign?!

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 10:19
Post #5

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (PCNdriverhelp @ Sat, 23 Jun 2018 - 10:47) *
Or does it really just come down to .... I went 58 under a 50mp sign?!

Assuming the gantry sign was clearly displayed, the answer is essentially yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 13:09
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here