Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Roof leak, Who should legally pay
mashman36
post Thu, 24 May 2018 - 10:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,027

The next door neighbourhad a new roof installed on the house
I now have a leak when it rains that comes down the wall when it rains and the wind blows!
Ive asked them to contact the roofer who called me and said the roof felts perished and the tiles are too heavy for the roof joists causing buckling thats why a new roof was fitted! (Ex council built in 1940/50s)
I never had the leak before the neigbours roof was fitted are they legally responsible to correct the issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Thu, 24 May 2018 - 10:38
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 24 May 2018 - 12:24
Post #2

Member No.: 59,097

I'd suggest you would need to get an independent inspection of the roof to establish what is causing a problem that you say wasnt there before this work was done. The contractor who did the work is hardly independent. Do you have a mortgage on the property or buildings insurance... would either your insurer or your lender be able to assist you to get your roof inspected? They can only say no

+Quote Post
facade
post Thu, 24 May 2018 - 17:06
Post #3

Member No.: 1,847

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Thu, 24 May 2018 - 11:38) *
I never had the leak before the neigbours roof was fitted are they legally responsible to correct the issues.

The contractor should be, if his work has caused your leak. If the leak was already there and his work on the neighbours roof has highlighted it (maybe the water isn't taking a short-cut and pouring into the neighbours as it was before but is now forced to run along the tiles?) possibly not.

Rainwater shouldn't get to the felt anyway, if the tiles are intact. Did they fit one of those plastic trays between the houses that has a black dividing ridge between your tiles and the neighbours? (This goes over the join between your old felt and the neighbours new membrane. Or did they just mingle the tiles and overlap the ,embrane over about a foot of your roof?

I paid a huge sum of money over the "Cowboy rate" last year to get a reputable contractor to replace my roof in case it started the neighbours leaking, at least I can contact the contractor.

This post has been edited by facade: Thu, 24 May 2018 - 17:10

+Quote Post
mashman36
post Fri, 25 May 2018 - 11:01
Post #4

They used a plastic tray divider ;my brother has a drone helicopter with 4k recording so when its convenient I will record the issue if I can see one.

+Quote Post
facade
post Fri, 25 May 2018 - 15:39
Post #5

Member No.: 1,847

That is a good idea, you want to keep people and ladders away if possible.

One of my new tiles fell off 2 weeks ago, took a week of constant 'phone calls to get that roofer back to fit a new one.
This morning was the first heavy rainfall since and water is fountaining out of the guttering. Looks with binoculars like when he leaned his ladder on the plastic guttering it flexed and popped out of the joint. I hope so, as I will borrow a ladder and put it back together properly if nothing is broken.

I'm not letting them near the place again if I can help it.

Enrages me that other people don't do their jobs as well as I do mine, doubly so that I know I could do as good a job as them because I would take as much time as I needed to get it perfect, if only the roof was closer to the ground.

+Quote Post
mashman36
post Sun, 27 May 2018 - 11:25
Post #6

QUOTE (facade @ Fri, 25 May 2018 - 16:39) *
That is a good idea, you want to keep people and ladders away if possible.

One of my new tiles fell off 2 weeks ago, took a week of constant 'phone calls to get that roofer back to fit a new one.
This morning was the first heavy rainfall since and water is fountaining out of the guttering. Looks with binoculars like when he leaned his ladder on the plastic guttering it flexed and popped out of the joint. I hope so, as I will borrow a ladder and put it back together properly if nothing is broken.

I'm not letting them near the place again if I can help it.

Enrages me that other people don't do their jobs as well as I do mine, doubly so that I know I could do as good a job as them because I would take as much time as I needed to get it perfect, if only the roof was closer to the ground.

Makes my piss boil when they bodge a job its easier to do it right first time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:27
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here