PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Completely Wrong Address on Conditional Offer for SA Course, Should my wife challenge or accept?
softdev137
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 15:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,943

Hi, I've read through the various topics and see that some folks have had notices dropped by waiting 14 days from the offence and then responding to the NIP confirming they were the driver but not at the stated location. Is this still a valid course of action after receiving a conditional offer for a speed awareness course? I tried the NIP Wizard but of course didn't get far because we have the SA offer and not a NIP so any advice would be appreciated.

Here are the details;
1/ On 15 Aug my wife was stopped by a mobile speed cam team for doing 40 in a 30.
2/ She obviously confirmed her details as the driver was asked to sign something but not sure what that was.
3/ On the 4 Sep she received the letter naming her as the driver and offering the 3 options: SA Course / 3 Points / Court
4/ There are no forms with the letter.
5/ The offer for the SA course expires 25th Sep
6/ The letter has completely the wrong location: a similar but different road name in a completely different town 60 miles away in same county.

Should my wife notify the error with the hope it might not be taken further or simply accept and book the course?

What we'd want to avoid is ending up with points instead of the SA course.

Many thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 15:12
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 15:30
Post #2

Member No.: 36,528

Your wife was stopped at the time so knows where the offence took place and is not disadvantaged by any subsequent error in the location. She does not need a NIP as she was warned of prosecution. There is no way of turning the error to her advantage, and refusing the course will probably result in the offer of a fixed penalty, turn that down because the error is repeated and the matter will go to court, plead not guilty because the location is still wrong and the police officer can be called as a witness and can give the correct location. He might not and the case could go all wrong from the prosecution point of view, but it is a very long shot and a risk not worth taking when the alternative is to do the course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 15:50
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 16:30) *
Your wife was stopped at the time so knows where the offence took place and is not disadvantaged by any subsequent error in the location.

True, it's worth trying the 'embarrassment' option with the Force if the location is that far out. Nothing ventured. (We have seen cancellations in similar circumstances)

Given the timings a phone call would be best. (Or at least book the course for now)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 15:51

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
softdev137
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 08:18
Post #4

Member No.: 99,943

Update just complete the thread; I called the Driver Diversion Team to advise my wife wasn't driving at the location on the notice so they kindly checked the original ticket and re-issued the notice with the correct location. FWIW we understand the wrong location on the paperwork is never going to invalidate the notice but had a slim hope they'd be too busy and cancel.

I've heard mixed feedback on how the SAC affects insurance premiums and many folks don't seem to inform insurers but isn't this going to be a problem in the event of a claim?

This post has been edited by softdev137: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 08:18

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 08:34
Post #5

Member No.: 18,483

Nobody is going to advise you to commit fraud if you’re required to inform your insurers but don’t.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Fri, 28 Sep 2018 - 09:07
Post #6

Member No.: 36,528

Consult your policy, most do not require you to inform your insurers if you attend a course but some do, those in the Admiral group for instance. If your policy makes that stipulation and you fail to observe it, then indeed you may have a problem in the event of a claim.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here