PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Brief Entry into Bus Lane
smudgersmiffy
post Thu, 18 Jan 2024 - 22:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,122

Whilst visiting my son at university on Sunday, I briefly entered a bus lane.

Having only been there a couple of times previously, I don't know the area well, and found myself about to enter a bus lane. When I realised I was about to go in, I immediately moved to the right as can be seen from the photographs.

Do you think I have a good case to appeal this bearing in mind the whole of the car wasn't inside the bus lane at any point?

Look forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by smudgersmiffy: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 - 22:08
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Thu, 18 Jan 2024 - 22:03
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Incandescent
post Thu, 18 Jan 2024 - 23:32
Post #2

Member No.: 54,455

Please post-up the PCN, with name and address redacted. If you redact PCN Number and car reg number please obtain and post-up the video. If you leave these in we can look ourselves. The video is their sole evidence.

Having said the above, the photos do seem to show a trivial, de minimis, contravention that an adjudicator would laugh at if the council dared to contest an appeal,

+Quote Post
smudgersmiffy
post Fri, 19 Jan 2024 - 23:35
Post #3

@Incadescent Thanks for your reply.

Here's the letter I received. I don't see any reference to viewing a video though.

Please let me know if there's any further information you need. I've redacted anything personal. Hope that's OK?

Basically, the car on the right in the first image wouldn't let me get out and sped in front of me, and I had no option but to go into the bus lane a tiny bit until he'd gone by.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by smudgersmiffy: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 - 23:37

+Quote Post
John U.K.
post Sat, 20 Jan 2024 - 08:45
Post #4

Member No.: 70,515

PLease repost all sides of the PCN with only name & address redacted and also a GSV link to the location.

+Quote Post
Gert
post Sat, 20 Jan 2024 - 09:51
Post #5

Member No.: 103,884

Without seeing the full clip where speeds, timings and gaps can be considered, hard to say if a credible argument
exists for the driver in lane one positioning into two. Looks plausible that driver had to wait for a suitable space before moving across the mouth of the bus lane. Short of stopping prior to bus lane (and then set off from a standing start) what else could they do?

+Quote Post
smudgersmiffy
post Sat, 20 Jan 2024 - 22:28
Post #6

@Incandescent @John U.K. @Gert

Thanks for your replies so far

The images can be viewed at:

www.portsmouth.gov.uk/parking

Click on: "View Details or challenge a penalty charge notice (PCN)"

Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) Number: PO94635958
Registration Number: YO68AVC

There doesn't seem to be any video available.

As can be seen, the car to the right of me was moving so fast an wouldn't let me move over. As soon as I was able to do so, I moved out, but that meant I was unavoidably in the Bus Lane for just a few yards.

Will be pleased to hear what you think of the images.

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sat, 20 Jan 2024 - 23:57
Post #7

Member No.: 54,455

I can't believe Portsmouth issued this PCN for such an obviously trivial intrusion into the bus lane, and I would be taking them all the way to adjudication if it were me. It is just venal moneygrubbing.

So submit representations that the intrusion into the bus lane is totally trivial and you are extremely shocked that they have issued the PCN as there is clearly no possible traffic management benefit in penalising a motorist for this extremely minor intrusion. Don't be surprised if you get the usual Fob-Off letter. You would probably have to take them to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal to get it cancelled. The downside is you must risk the full PCN penalty. Councils bat away almost all representations because they know that people then cough-up. If they reject your reps and don't re-offer the discount, then it is a total no-brainer to take them to TPT.

This post has been edited by Incandescent: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 - 23:58

+Quote Post
smudgersmiffy
post Sun, 21 Jan 2024 - 11:55
Post #8

Thanks for your reply @Incandescent I think I'll appeal it.

Having checked the time stamps on then images, it can be seen that I was in the Bus Lane for somewhere between 3 and 4 seconds.

On the first image it can be seen that I was braking because the guy to my right wouldn't let me out.

What a pain that we have to go through the appeal process. Maybe if there was a fine for the council if they lose the appeal they wouldn't be so keen to fine people.

Do you have any good phrases that I can include in my appeal so the tribunal will look at it in a good light?

+Quote Post
astralite
post Sun, 21 Jan 2024 - 12:20
Post #9

Member No.: 69,352

Yes, there is a video on the Portsmouth website - just below the photos. All the cars seem to have been driving quite quickly. I agree with Incandescent.
If you want to post a draft representation before you send it we could take a look. It only needs to be brief and clear. If Portsmouth accept it then that will be the end of the matter and you will not have to consider the Tribunal.

+Quote Post
Schofeldt
post Sun, 21 Jan 2024 - 12:31
Post #10

Member No.: 116,298

PCN all of it please.

--------------------
People, we come and go Memories, they ebb and flow. When we fill our lives with emptiness This does not create true happiness. As this is the Dance of Life.

People, we can be kind True love is hard to find. When we fill our lives with emptiness This does not create true happiness. As this is the Dance of Life.

Animals, we kill to eat For many, it’s just a treat. When we fill our lives with arrogance We create a huge imbalance. As this is the Dance of Life.

Our Earth is our Heavenly home God-given to freely roam. When we fill our lives with arrogance We create a huge imbalance As this is the Dance of Life.

One day, we will all be judged This simple truth cannot be fudged. When we carry on so blindly We do not act all so kindly. As this is the Dance of Life.

As Above, and so Below A simple truth to help us grow. When we put aside our egotism We will really find altruism. As this is the Dance of Life.

The Divine lives in all things Manifested in music’s rings. The planets are a testament To the everlasting firmament. As this is the Dance of Life.

It's all in the wrist.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:13
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here