Labour MP accused of PCOJ, Threads merged
kommando
post Wed, 25 Jul 2018 - 18:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,558

And another one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/0...course-justice/

A Labour whip and ally of Jeremy Corbyn has been charged with perverting the course of justice after allegations that she tried to give away speeding points a month after her election.

Fiona Onasanya, the Labour MP for Peterborough, appeared at Westminster magistrates court two weeks ago alongside her brother, Festus.

The former solicitor kept news of her arrest and charge secret while serving as a Labour whip. She is due back in court next month.

Solicitors and MP's seem to have issues with speeding tickets, this one is both !!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Wed, 25 Jul 2018 - 18:34
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 15:31
Post #21

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 16:06) *
The point is hypocrisy - you can hardly complain about say someone talking to the IRA if Thatcher was doing it.

Is there not a difference between the British Government talking to a terrorist organisation in furtherance of government policy and an individual MP doing so unofficially and then, apparently, acting in sympathy with the aims of or in support of that terrorist organisation? Is it merely talking to them that matters or does the intention behind the talks have a bearing?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 15:44
Post #22

Member No.: 59,924

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 16:31) *
Is there not a difference between the British Government talking to a terrorist organisation in furtherance of government policy and an individual MP doing so unofficially and then, apparently, acting in sympathy with the aims of or in support of that terrorist organisation? Is it merely talking to them that matters or does the intention behind the talks have a bearing?

You can support the aims but not the means. This article is just up on the Guardian - it portrays Corbyn as anti-violence to a fault - he has to deny he is a total pacifist. The aims of a united Ireland and an end to discrimination against a minority in the north were good ones in my view and still are.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/a...sing-or-a-curse

How would characterise say Helen Suzman in South Africa, a politician who talked to the ANC leadership, including Mandela when he was imprisoned?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Suzman

As for "the British Government talking to a terrorist organisation in furtherance of government policy" - it wasn't public policy to talk to the IRA.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 15:46
Post #23

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 16:44) *
As for "the British Government talking to a terrorist organisation in furtherance of government policy" - it wasn't public policy to talk to the IRA.

Was it not? If it’s being done by the PM then the presumption would be that it was indeed government policy, openly admitted or not.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 15:52
Post #24

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 16:12) *
While I dislike many of the things Israel does, if they were to remove their forces and hang up their weapons, beat the swords into ploughshares, they would cease to exist within a very short space of time.
Exactly the same as in 1948 when the British pulled out and handed the keys to the Palestinians.
It does explain their policies a little, they know they exist solely for as long as they can defend themselves.

That's an old view not borne out by reality. Of its four neighbours, Israel has treaties with Egypt and Jordan; Syria is trashed; and Lebanon is hardly a threat.

It may be a long way off, but the future clearly lies in Israel/Palestine being a single secular state, as the great teenager Ahed Tamimi has said:

https://youtu.be/gwqpKU0odyQ

She hopefully is the future.

What has to abandoned is a state founded on apartheid and which occupies and cages people.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 15:54
Post #25

Anyway, the topic is a Labour MP accused of PCOJ, not politics, so let’s get back on topic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Fri, 17 Aug 2018 - 18:34
Post #26

So, the trial isn't until November.

Why is this at Old Bailey? I thought OB was for major and exceptional cases.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 17:04
Post #27

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

One down. Pleading guilty to three PCOJ offences doesn't seem likely to work out well when he's sentenced, even with the discount.

His sister is still pleading not guilty, though, with her trial going ahead next week.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 18:26
Post #28

Member No.: 317

Will make for an intersteing trial if he’s asked to give evidence!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 19:33
Post #29

Member No.: 1,326

The latest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambr...eshire-46200100

A Labour MP plotted with her brother to evade a speeding prosecution, a court has heard.

Fiona Onasanya claimed a Russian man was behind the wheel when her Nissan Micra was clocked doing 41mph in a 30mph zone in July last year, jurors at the Old Bailey were told.

Ms Onasanya, 35, denies one count of perverting the course of justice.

Prosecutor David Jeremy QC said the MP and her brother Festus Onasanya had "acted jointly in telling lies".

The court was told Ms Onasanya, who is the MP for Peterborough, was sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) after her car was clocked by a speed camera in Thorney, near Peterborough, on 24 July last year.

She returned the paperwork naming Aleks Antipow as the driver, jurors heard.

Mr Jeremy said Mr Antipow was the previous tenant of a property that Ms Onasanya and her brother had rented in Cambridge.

The court heard that Mr Antipow was at home in Russia at the time of the incident and had never driven the MP's car.

Mr Jeremy said that providing a real name but false address and telephone number meant Mr Antipow "would remain untraceable", so that "the true driver of Miss Onasanya's car would escape prosecution".

She's a solicitor too, so a risky strategy if she is guilty, especially as a SAC is likely to have been offered.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 09:33
Post #30

I suspect the Brother, having plead guilty, is going to be falling on his sword and taking all the blame so as to exonerate his sister, whether that's the true version or not the evidence may or may not show. It appears the NIP/S172 was in her own name so he will have to have claim to have 'intercepted' it and filled it and returned it all without her knowledge as I see it. It may come down to a forensic analysis of the returned form for prints/handwriting/signature.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 09:49
Post #31

Member No.: 3,385

I think it is interesting to see that the police used mobile phone connections to confirm that both of her mobile phones were in the vicinity of the speed camera concerned at the time of the offence. They really seem to be working hard in getting background detail where it is available.

Still innocent until proved guilty but it doesn't seem to bode well following the prosecution presentation. I think the defence will be fascinating to follow. And I have a feeling that the Rookie is right about the potential line of defence.

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
ViroBono
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 14:27
Post #32

Member No.: 43,323

QUOTE (Rallyman72 @ Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 09:49) *
I think it is interesting to see that the police used mobile phone connections to confirm that both of her mobile phones were in the vicinity of the speed camera concerned at the time of the offence. They really seem to be working hard in getting background detail where it is available.

Still innocent until proved guilty but it doesn't seem to bode well following the prosecution presentation. I think the defence will be fascinating to follow. And I have a feeling that the Rookie is right about the potential line of defence.

No doubt a career as Ms Onasanya's Chief of Staff awaits the brother.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 14:50
Post #33

IIRC, as he’s no longer a co-defendant he’s now a competent and compellable witness in her trial.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 15:18
Post #34

QUOTE (ViroBono @ Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 14:27) *

Not that daily Fail news article again, a quick google will tell you he was sacked ten days BEFORE the Fail printed the news story.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
ViroBono
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 15:58
Post #35

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 15:18) *
QUOTE (ViroBono @ Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 14:27) *

Not that daily Fail news article again, a quick google will tell you he was sacked ten days BEFORE the Fail printed the news story.

Ishmael Osamor resigned (under pressure) as a Haringey councillor, but was (according to the Independent & Guardian, amongst other sources), still his mother's COS as at 06 November, and the complaint about his appointment bringing Parliament into disrepute remains extant.

This post has been edited by ViroBono: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 15:59

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 16:15
Post #36

The article I read (will dig in a minute) said he resigned the post on 31/10.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
ViroBono
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 11:51
Post #37

A former member of Fiona Onasanya’s staff has given evidence against her. Christian DeFeo, former Head of Communications told the court that Onasanya turned up at his home, located on the road on which she was caught speeding, on the day she was caught, alone in her car.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 12:11
Post #38

Hardly evidence against her really, that in now way proves any element of PCOJ, all it establishes is that she was driving that day, as it’s already clear the named driver wasn’t driving (the brothers guilty plea) I can’t see it being of much use, but of course we don’t know what her defence is although the only one I can see working is the brother claiming he intercepted the NIP and sent it back and Ms Onasanya had no knowledge of it at all. Similar to the old Yorke defence.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 13:36
Post #39

Member No.: 3,385

Sorry, I do not see where it has been shown she was not driving that day. The brother was involved in supplying the alleged driver details it would seem.

From the Peterborough Telegraph:

The former aide of Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya, who is accused of plotting with her brother to avoid a speeding ticket, said he felt “morally and legally” obliged to give evidence against her, a court has heard.

Dr Christian DeFeo, who managed campaigns and communications for Miss Onasanya, said he was compelled to contact police after spotting a news report of her trial at the Old Bailey.

Dr DeFeo said he discussed with his wife Caroline Earle whether or not to give evidence against the 35-year-old, but decided he had a moral duty to contact police on Tuesday this week, the day Onasanya’s trial began.

He told the court he had “enormous hopes invested” in the Labour MP, who was elected in 2017, and added: “I never dreamed in my darkest dreams - I never thought I would have to be sitting here (giving evidence).

“It is with the greatest reluctance I have to do this. To do otherwise, I cannot. It’s morally and legally unacceptable not to.”

The court heard there had been a “bit of a falling out” between the MP and Ms Earle after an event marking 100 years of Labour in Peterborough was cancelled by Onasanya.

Asked by prosecutor David Jeremy QC whether he “had it in” for Onasanya as a result of the dispute, Dr DeFeo said he did not, and added: “From day one I wanted her to succeed. I wanted her to be a great MP and I said on a number of occasions that I wanted her to be an MP as long as she wanted to be. It’s a terrible thing to have to do this.”

Onasanya is accused of plotting with her brother Festus Onasanya to claim that a Russian man was behind the wheel of her Nissan Micra when it was clocked doing 41mph in a 30mph zone on The Causeway near Thorney in Cambridgeshire.

The incident happened near where Dr DeFeo lived at the time, on July 24 2017, a week after Onasanya was elected MP.

The court was told about an email exchange between Onasanya and Dr DeFeo, arranging to meet on July 24 last year.Asked what time she was there, the witness said: “I cannot say a specific time, however she arrived late and was there quite late because we offered her a bed to stay the night. She arrived in her car. She arrived alone. She pulled up her car in front of our house. I greeted her at the door.”

Dr DeFeo said Onasanya, his wife and himself spent no less than two hours discussing the “nitty gritty” of a charity lease in his living room. They were there together throughout apart from the occasional “loo breaks” and his wife going into the kitchen to prepare a “hot lemon squash”.

Dr DeFeo said Onasanya had been to his home three or four times, including when he threw a “victory party” to celebrate her election, accompanied by her mother.

It does seem to tie her down to driving that evening. If the brother intercepted the NIP then how can this be explained:
On being asked to provide correct contacts, the defendant replied: “I have supplied the details made known to me as well as the licence information...I have provided a completed nomination previously.”

And then:
Mark Williams, an investigator from the Cambridgeshire Camera Ticket unit, repeatedly tried to contact Ms Onasanya. On November 2, she allegedly told him that she “stands by her nomination”.

Admittedly it does not say whether this was in writing or in person and it has to be borne in mind that we are hearing the prosecution side.

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 13:38
Post #40

Member No.: 14,720

That's torn it...

New witness comes forward:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-63...eeding-car.html

A Labour MP who claims an 'untraceable' Russian man sped in her Nissan Micra had driven alone to a house on the street where the car was caught doing 41mph in a 30mph zone, a court heard today.

Dr Christian DeFeo, who wrote press releases for Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya, said he felt 'compelled' to appear at the Old Bailey at the 11th hour after reading a court report online this week.

Dr DeFeo told jurors he had a moral duty to contact police and told them the MP had driven to his house, alone, in her Nissan Micra, on the night the speeding ticket was issued.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 13:49

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:05
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here