PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Why dont the Police enfore the law regarding cyclists?
Korting
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 22:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,524

In the last few weeks, I've nearly had collisions with two cyclists both at night, both had jumped red lights and both had no lights on their bicycles.

Last Saturday night, I saw a cyclist fall over because he lost control, no other vehicles involved. I went to check if he was ok, he was and was going to ride off without lights.

I told him he didn't have any lights and he said he had reflectors. I told him reflectors are not good enough.

If I drive a car without lights the Police are likely to stop me and possibly report me. Ditto for a motorcyclist.

If I'm caught jumping a red light I'm likely to be reported.

Cyclists seem to get away with breaking all the rules and laws.

Why wont the Police take some action? It seems that Cyclists are above the law and a law unto themselves.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Tue, 1 May 2018 - 22:14
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 20:27
Post #21

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 2 May 2018 - 20:01) *
I f***ing hate these cyclist threads.

Two words to many, both begin with T

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
m7891
post Wed, 2 May 2018 - 23:08
Post #22

Member No.: 56,508

QUOTE (ford poplar @ Wed, 2 May 2018 - 17:38) *
What annoys me are those riders who use only 'flashing' front/rear lights or use a helmet-mounted front light.

Well, job done w.r.t. having a rear flashing light. If you're annoyed by it, it means you've seen it.

Flashing lights are far more likely to be seen, and since that's the primary reason for rear lights (rather than helping you see) then it makes perfect sense to have one that flashes.

As the number of motorists/cyclists increase, each should be subject to basic requirements eg 'third party' Insurance and MOT.

Just...no.

I'm not long back from The Netherlands. The difference in attitude to cycling and cyclists over there is amazing.

+Quote Post
facade
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 05:41
Post #23

Member No.: 1,847

As a pedestrian, I see some quite awful cyclists- several times whilst walking the dog I've had adult cyclists hurtle up silently (to me) from behind on the pavement, and skim my elbow. It only needs me to stumble or to have to jerk the dog away from a pile of drugs/food for there to be an accident, which hopefully will put them right onto the road that they are so afraid of. (I must get myself a walking stick to poke through their front wheel wink.gif )
I also pretty much daily witness driving on the pavement. Cars just mount the pavement and try to run us over because they "have" to selfishly park blocking most of it, immediately, and we are "in the way". Then there are the drivers who just reverse quickly off their drives straight across the pavement without even bothering to look, and assume that we will just stop and wait for them. (Obviously we do, as I don't want the dog run over)

As a cyclist, I often see other cyclists run red lights and ride on pavements, and I experience some terribly unsafe passes by cars that have to get in front of me, only to then hold me up by turning left across the front of me, or slowly starting off from traffic lights.

As a car driver, I see the aforementioned cyclists, and some astonishingly bad/unsafe driving from fellow car users, together with some pedestrians who are convinced that they can just walk straight across roads without looking no matter what the traffic conditions.

I think it would be nice if we just had more Police around to enforce the Laws relating to all 3 groups of road users.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 07:56
Post #24

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (facade @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 06:41) *
I think it would be nice if we just had more Police around to enforce the Laws relating to all 3 groups of road users.

If the Police were allowed to operate self funding from fines/penalties/courses in areas other than speed camera's then its affordable.

As an aside if you compare our fines with typical US fines for the same activity, our fixed fines are roughly half what theirs are or even less, for example misuse of a disabled parking 'placard' will typically cost you about $900, roughly half and half between the unlawful parking and the misuse fines.

As a cyclist I abhor those cyclists who flout the law as much as any other driver (being both) as I get tarred with the same brush.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Thu, 3 May 2018 - 07:57

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
m7891
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 08:09
Post #25

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 08:56) *
As a cyclist I abhor those cyclists who flout the law as much as any other driver (being both) as I get tarred with the same brush.

This, several times over.

Although at the same time, there shouldn't be any tarring. It's surely not unreasonable to expect people to have sufficient intelligence to realise that the cyclist who has stopped at the lights can't be blamed for the actions of the one in front who didn't?

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 09:58
Post #26

Member No.: 76,324

QUOTE (m7891 @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 00:08) *
What annoys me are those riders who use only 'flashing' front/rear lights or use a helmet-mounted front light.

Well, job done w.r.t. having a rear flashing light. If you're annoyed by it, it means you've seen it. Flashing lights are far more likely to be seen, and since that's the primary reason for rear lights (rather than helping you see) then it makes perfect sense to have one that flashes.

I find it makes them a lot harder to judge their distance away from me though in the dark. I wish they hadn't amended the law, and you were still required to have a steady light present front and back.

+Quote Post
m7891
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:06
Post #27

QUOTE (Tartarus @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:58) *
QUOTE (m7891 @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 00:08) *

Well, job done w.r.t. having a rear flashing light. If you're annoyed by it, it means you've seen it. Flashing lights are far more likely to be seen, and since that's the primary reason for rear lights (rather than helping you see) then it makes perfect sense to have one that flashes.

I find it makes them a lot harder to judge their distance away from me though in the dark. I wish they hadn't amended the law, and you were still required to have a steady light present front and back.

Which surely means you will over-compensate to ensure you definitely pull out in time at an appropriate distance to pass? Something that's better than not seeing a cyclist at all, which is entirely possible with a steady light that can be lost in the glow of your own headlights, or other light pollution.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:17
Post #28

QUOTE (m7891 @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 09:09) *
It's surely not unreasonable to expect people to have sufficient intelligence to realise that the cyclist who has stopped at the lights can't be blamed for the actions of the one in front who didn't?

In the age of Facebook, I think that a wholly unreasonable expectation, usually best to figure NO-ONE has that intelligence until you have the evidence otherwise.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:21

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:56
Post #29

Member No.: 90,659

I have tried cycling with different combinations of lights. My commute is partially on narrow winding country roads where you want to be seen.

Best combination on the rear is two bright lights flashing at different rates. Strobe in poor visibility.

Best on the front is two bright steady lights.

I also went a Proviz top.

As above I don't give a monkeys if people find them annoying if it saves hearing someone doing an emergency stop behind you, which happens with steady lights fairly often. I think because they are small people mistake them for a vehicle further away. Flashing lights mean it is immediately obvious it is a cyclist.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Thu, 3 May 2018 - 10:57

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 3 May 2018 - 11:21
Post #30

I also have a country lane commute and semi urban at the end, I use a very bright rear light and in addition lots of reflector on both the mudguard and on the back of the seatpost (3M diamond tape, amazing reflection and you can cut it to maximise area), on the front I just have a decent light for seeing as being seen is not an issue on my commute.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Sat, 5 May 2018 - 18:45
Post #31

Member No.: 52,178

QUOTE (facade @ Thu, 3 May 2018 - 06:41) *
As a pedestrian, I see some quite awful cyclists

As a cyclist, I see some quite awful pedestrians.

On the occasions I use the Santander Cycle Hire in London, I am amazed at how little notice pedestrians crossing the road take. I have found routes that take quiet lanes right into the City of London (thanks to the TfL web site). On those roads, pedestrians, too busy staring at their phones, too often just step into the road without looking at all, and only glance up once they've taken a pace or two into the road. I guess they've done a cursory look for traffic (which is normally large, obvious and slow delivery vans or buses), and don't even bother "thinking bike", so step right into my path.

Like others have said, ALL road users need to do a bit more to take notice and consideration of other road users, which includes following the Highway Code.

+Quote Post
dacouc
post Sat, 5 May 2018 - 19:00
Post #32

Member No.: 60,232

They enforce traffic light jumping on a regular basis in SE1 Central London on a regular basis and always issue the (Small) fixed penalty.

They either use two or three plastic police on push bikes or my favourite as the real police on pedal cycles who have really small flashing blue lights that they put on when in hot pursuit

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 7 May 2018 - 13:14
Post #33

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (dacouc @ Sat, 5 May 2018 - 20:00) *
They enforce traffic light jumping on a regular basis in SE1 Central London on a regular basis and always issue the (Small) fixed penalty.

They either use two or three plastic police on push bikes or my favourite as the real police on pedal cycles who have really small flashing blue lights that they put on when in hot pursuit

Often they just use officers on foot, one observing the light and several further ahead to stop offenders and issue the penalties.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
TonyS
post Thu, 10 May 2018 - 06:07
Post #34

Member No.: 60,732

Why dont the Police enfore the law regarding car drivers? Every day I see car drivers breaking the speed limits, or failing to correctly obey traffic lights.

+Quote Post
facade
post Thu, 10 May 2018 - 17:33
Post #35

QUOTE (TonyS @ Thu, 10 May 2018 - 07:07) *
Why dont the Police enfore the law regarding car drivers? Every day I see car drivers breaking the speed limits, or failing to correctly obey traffic lights.

Because there are very very few Police about. Enforcement is mainly by camera. If you don't trigger a camera, nothing happens.
If there were more Police visible, a lot of this lawbreaking wouldn't even happen in the first place, whether from cyclists, pedestrians or motorists.

I'd happily pay another £10 a month on my Poll Tax to have a Policeman constantly walking our estate, moving on the crackheads, following his nose to the cannabis farms, stopping the procession of stolen cars, getting people to move their cars off the pavement and discouraging burglaries.
All they can afford to do is put a letter through my door telling me the crime wave is our fault for having any property worth stealing....

This post has been edited by facade: Thu, 10 May 2018 - 17:35

+Quote Post
Korting
post Thu, 10 May 2018 - 23:29
Post #36

Member No.: 37,524

QUOTE (facade @ Thu, 10 May 2018 - 18:33) *
QUOTE (TonyS @ Thu, 10 May 2018 - 07:07) *

Because there are very very few Police about. Enforcement is mainly by camera. If you don't trigger a camera, nothing happens.
If there were more Police visible, a lot of this lawbreaking wouldn't even happen in the first place, whether from cyclists, pedestrians or motorists.

I'd happily pay another £10 a month on my Poll Tax to have a Policeman constantly walking our estate, moving on the crackheads, following his nose to the cannabis farms, stopping the procession of stolen cars, getting people to move their cars off the pavement and discouraging burglaries.
All they can afford to do is put a letter through my door telling me the crime wave is our fault for having any property worth stealing....

The Poll tax went out about 25 years ago unfortunately and was replaced by Council Tax.

We pay enough Council Tax as it is, if the Councils were to impose another £120 a year for the Police, they would find another way of spending it and there would still be no increase in police.

+Quote Post
facade
post Fri, 11 May 2018 - 07:14
Post #37

It's a poll tax to me. All I get for the thousands I put in is a bin that is too small and not emptied often enough, LED streetlamps that don't light up the unrepaired holes in the road and pavements and the chance to vote. rolleyes.gif

The subs for the Police and Fire service are separate additions to the Poll Tax bill already, and not subject to the increase cap as far as I can tell, which is why the council can claim the % increase in the bill is lower than the extra % you get charged.

I did think of stopping the Fire service sub as I have a hosepipe, and the Police one as they never come round here wink.gif

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 11 May 2018 - 10:55
Post #38

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Korting @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 00:29) *
We pay enough Council Tax as it is, if the Councils were to impose another £120 a year for the Police, they would find another way of spending it and there would still be no increase in police.

The police precept goes to the police force so I don't see how the council could sped it.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 11 May 2018 - 11:02
Post #39

QUOTE (facade @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 08:14) *
It's a poll tax to me. All I get for the thousands I put in is a bin that is too small and not emptied often enough, LED streetlamps that don't light up the unrepaired holes in the road and pavements and the chance to vote. rolleyes.gif
You seem to have missed the roads and pavements around the potholes and the fact the bin is emptied, there is of course much more serviceable road and pavement than there is pothole, but if you decide you'll only ever drive off road then fair play and you'd have a vaguely sensible argument rather and childish and petty one.

No-one wants a fire brigade until they actually need it, a hose will usually be far too little too late.

I'm sure you''ll be happy to sign up now for zero support in your old age if they let you make the saving that goes to those in that situation now.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
facade
post Fri, 11 May 2018 - 14:23
Post #40

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:02) *
I'm sure you''ll be happy to sign up now for zero support in your old age if they let you make the saving that goes to those in that situation now.

Don't start me. I'm unlikely to see a penny because I am/was stupid enough to make provision for my old age. If you have anything, they will take that to pay for what you need before they give you support.

Anyway, my point wasn't the massive burden of tax that I can't avoid (although refusing to pay it might well cause a rare appearance by the Police biggrin.gif ) , but that I am willing to pay out even more for more Police on the streets which would help reduce the lawbreaking that we seem to be dismissing as uneconomic to address.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:27
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here