PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Attachments and managing your upload allowance, Be careful when sending PMs with attachments!
andy_foster
post Fri, 27 Apr 2007 - 00:00
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Members are able to attach files (images/etc) to their posts and Private Messages (PMs).

Each Member has an upload allowance, and once this is exceeded cannot make any more attachments until they've freed up some space by deleting old attachments. You can manage your attachments to posts using My Controls->Options->Manage Your Attachments.

What is not so obvious is that PMs you send, including their attachments, also count against your upload quota. However attachments to PMs don't show up under Manage Your Attachments, although the amount of space they're taking up is shown. If you delete the PM from your Sent folder this still doesn't free up the space, as the system keeps the attachment so that the recipient(s) of your PM can still see it. The attachment is only deleted, and your quota freed up, when both you and all recipients have deleted the PM (or archived it to a PC).

Because of the way the system works you should therefore think carefully before sending PMs with attachments - you're relying on the recipients to delete the PM when they've finished with it, otherwise you're permanently committing some of your upload allowance! If you need to send a PM with an attachment then you should make it as small as possible, and ask the recipient to delete the PM when they've finished reading it (or archive the PM to their PC). ...

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Fri, 27 Apr 2007 - 00:00
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 27 Apr 2007 - 09:02
Post #2

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Article Discussion

If you have any comments on the content of this Article, suggested improvements or additions, then please post in this topic.
Proposed changes will be reviewed by the original author and/or Moderators and the Article above updated as appropriate.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
RacquelS
post Fri, 30 Nov 2012 - 12:55
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,625

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Fri, 27 Apr 2007 - 00:00) *
Members are able to attach files (images/etc) to their posts and Private Messages (PMs).

Each Member has an upload allowance, and once this is exceeded cannot make any more attachments until they've freed up some space by deleting old attachments. You can manage your attachments to posts using My Controls->Options->Manage Your Attachments.

What is not so obvious is that PMs you send, including their attachments, also count against your upload quota. However attachments to PMs don't show up under Manage Your Attachments, although the amount of space they're taking up is shown. If you delete the PM from your Sent folder this still doesn't free up the space, as the system keeps the attachment so that the recipient(s) of your PM can still see it. The attachment is only deleted, and your quota freed up, when both you and all recipients have deleted the PM (or archived it to a PC).

Because of the way the system works you should therefore think carefully before sending PMs with attachments - you're relying on the recipients to delete the PM when they've finished with it, otherwise you're permanently committing some of your upload allowance! If you need to send a PM with an attachment then you should make it as small as possible, and ask the recipient to delete the PM when they've finished reading it (or archive the PM to their PC). ...

I have followed your instructions it says that I have used 0 bytes but I am unable to upload anymore for some reason :S

+Quote Post
post Mon, 30 Jan 2017 - 15:02
Post #4

Member No.: 89,969

hello,

I can't get my photo to upload. it is 1.5mb and I have an allowance of 1.95mb so it should be ok. it is jpeg. any ideas?

thanks

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Mon, 30 Jan 2017 - 16:31
Post #5

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (123098 @ Mon, 30 Jan 2017 - 15:02) *
hello,

I can't get my photo to upload. it is 1.5mb and I have an allowance of 1.95mb so it should be ok. it is jpeg. any ideas?

thanks

If you are trying to upload a picture within a post do not use the attachment facilty to do so. Us an external imaging host such as Photobucket ,TinyPic or similar .These programmes will produce links which start and end with [IMG] copy these and paste them in to your post and the images will appear as if by magic .
I believe there is a sticky giving fuller advice on this procedure .

This post has been edited by StuartBu: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 - 16:39

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 14:15
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here