PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

motability, S172, difference between keeper and reg keeper
oldstoat
post Sat, 9 May 2020 - 18:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,505

for a considerable length of time, I must have been confused. I had always understood from these forums, that there was a difference of onus of proof, to provide driver details, when a s172 was served, between the "keeper" and the "registered keeper" in respect to what the two different meaning meant, and the bar to avoid prosecution/conviction.

i was going to ask a question regards a motability car, but i went on to legislation.gov.uk. and the s172, just says keeper.

72 Duty to give information as to identity of driver etc in certain circumstances.

(1)This section applies—

(a)the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police [F3or the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police Force], and

(b)any other person shall if required as stated above give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.

am i missing something, or misunderstood something?

--------------------
Bridges burnt, Rubicons crossed. Parthian shots delivered, but always with style
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Sat, 9 May 2020 - 18:28
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 9 May 2020 - 19:26
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

Yes - s 172 doesn’t care who the registered keeper is, the distinction is between the “person keeping the vehicle” (who might or might not be the registered keeper) and “any other person” (who also might or might not be the registered keeper).

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 9 May 2020 - 19:36
Post #3

Member No.: 317

Your previous understanding was erroneous.....

I think what you you’ve been confused by is people asking RK’s questions to see if they were the keeper, as being the RK is irrelevant when it comes to your obligations, it’s being the keeper that matters.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sat, 9 May 2020 - 21:56

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Sat, 9 May 2020 - 20:26
Post #4

Member No.: 74,048

Motability have an agreement in place with DVLA the keeper details are recorded as Motability operations C/O your name and address

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
trubster
post Sun, 10 May 2020 - 00:47
Post #5

Member No.: 17,078

When I had a motability vehicle, my name and address was on the V5 (With some numbers after my name) - Motability held the V5 document, but I got a copy emailed to me and I was the Registered Keeper (and received a couple of KADOE PCN's in <14 days)

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Sun, 10 May 2020 - 16:46
Post #6

Member No.: 25,505

cheers folks for your input.

--------------------
Bridges burnt, Rubicons crossed. Parthian shots delivered, but always with style

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 15:41
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here