PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Not sure if I got caught for speeding, Speeding
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,741

How accurate are GPS systems? I was basically going down this road today and the police were there with a hand held camera and I was doing roughly 36 MPH, and further back the road was a 30 sign, but on my phone via the Google maps app as you head towards where the speed trap was my GPS reading changed from 30 to 40 zone. Hence why I dont really know if was caught or not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:08
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:11
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Usual enforcement begins at 35mph.

You have 14 days to see if a NIP arrives (if you are the registered keeper).

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:17
Post #3

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:11) *
Usual enforcement begins at 35mph.

You have 14 days to see if a NIP arrives (if you are the registered keeper).

Ok thanks. I think I was doing 36, but cant I contest it as I took a screenshot of the phone saying its a 40 zone. Or wont that do any good? I could try at least to say I was following the guidance of the GPS couldn't I?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:22
Post #4

Nope - the signage on the road is the only thing that matters.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:22
Post #5

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:17) *
I think I was doing 36, but cant I contest it as I took a screenshot of the phone saying its a 40 zone. Or wont that do any good? I could try at least to say I was following the guidance of the GPS couldn't I?

No, to both.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:24
Post #6

...or are you saying you were in the 40 limit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:28
Post #7

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:22) *
Nope - the signage on the road is the only thing that matters.

So why does the GPS system change to 40. Motorists use that for speed etc as well as directional help.

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:24) *
...or are you saying you were in the 40 limit?

Well thats the confusing thing because my GPS on the phone says its a 40 limit stretch of road. But the signage further back the road says 30.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:55
Post #8

QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:28) *
Well thats the confusing thing because my GPS on the phone says its a 40 limit stretch of road. But the signage further back the road says 30.

There's no guarantees the GPS database is correct. As above, you cannot argue your GPS said 40, especially as you admit there's a 30 sign!

The limit is set by the signage at the time and not your GPS. (And before someone else gets technical it's actually the relevant traffic order, if required, but let's not muddy the waters)

By the magic of GSV time machine:
It was a 40 - here.
And is now a 30 - here.

Wait and see if you're caught first. The status of the traffic order can be checked but is unlikely to be wrong.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Fri, 22 May 2020 - 19:59

--------------------

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:04
Post #9

So why does the GPS system change to 40.

Have you considered asking the provider of your GPS system? The road signs provide the guidance as to the speed limit, as per the law. The law doesn’t recognise a GPS database.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:21
Post #10

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:04) *
So why does the GPS system change to 40.

Have you considered asking the provider of your GPS system? The road signs provide the guidance as to the speed limit, as per the law. The law doesn’t recognise a GPS database.

Thanks for that. I just find it odd, why do they invent these things for guidance for drivers, yet in a court of law they are not recognised. My partner who recently psssed her test hsd to buy a GPS system before she could take her practical test. So it gives new drivers a false sense of security surely if they use them for speed guidance.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:24
Post #11

Member No.: 317

Because the liability rests on the driver to use their eyes.

If the database is wrong, ask the provider, it’s their fault, the database isn’t created by government.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:43
Post #12

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:24) *
Because the liability rests on the driver to use their eyes.

If the database is wrong, ask the provider, it’s their fault, the database isn’t created by government.

So really these things shouldn't exist. Because why are new drivers encouraged to use these things if they give them a false sense of security?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 20:47
Post #13

QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:43) *
So really these things shouldn't exist.

So something that can help you and is realiable ~99% of the time shouldn’t exist because it’s not 100% reliable?

Because why are new drivers encouraged to use these things if they give them a false sense of security?

Are they? And are they told to rely on it accurately conveying the limit rather than looking out for the statutory road signs?

Or are you just ****** because you might have got caught and are looking for someone to blame?

--------------------

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:09
Post #14

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:47) *

So something that can help you and is realiable ~99% of the time shouldn’t exist because it’s not 100% reliable?

Because why are new drivers encouraged to use these things if they give them a false sense of security?

Are they? And are they told to rely on it accurately conveying the limit rather than looking out for the statutory road signs?

Or are you just ****** because you might have got caught and are looking for someone to blame?

No no sorry that's not what I meant. I was just saying my partner couldn't pass her test without a sat nav, but if we cant rely on these systems when it comes to soeed guidance, why are new drivers encouraged to use them? It kinds lures them into trouble. Rather than just using old fashioned highway code.

+Quote Post
172Ben
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:17
Post #15

Member No.: 38,175

QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:09) *

No no sorry that's not what I meant. I was just saying my partner couldn't pass her test without a sat nav, but if we cant rely on these systems when it comes to soeed guidance, why are new drivers encouraged to use them? It kinds lures them into trouble. Rather than just using old fashioned highway code.

If the sat nav/GPS told you to turn left off a cliff would you?

Pull the other one, you’ve been caught and the only one to blame is yourself.

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:21
Post #16

QUOTE (172Ben @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 22:17) *
QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:09) *

Well I wasent expecting that response.

If the sat nav/GPS told you to turn left off a cliff would you?

Pull the other one, you’ve been caught and the only one to blame is yourself.

Well I wasent expecting that responce. I was merely saying why are new drivers encouraged to include these devices to help their driving experience, yet a court of law doesnt recognize it. Why did they invent it?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:29
Post #17

The primary purpose of a GPS is navigation.

There will be a disclaimer that any information given is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate such as the limits.

Limits change and the authorities are not obliged to tell the sat nav companies. (Or more precisely the mapping company)

The user also has to update their maps regularly - there will always be a lag.

Only the mark 1 eyeball on the road signage should be complied with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:32
Post #18

QUOTE (renegadefm @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 22:21) *
Why did they invent it?

For the military. If new drivers don’t understand that relying on a sat nav rather than the road signs is a bad idea they probably need to take their test again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
renegadefm
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:34
Post #19

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 22 May 2020 - 22:29) *
The primary purpose of a GPS is navigation.

There will be a disclaimer that any information given is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate such as the limits.

Limits change and the authorities are not obliged to tell the sat nav companies. (Or more precisely the mapping company)

The user also has to update their maps regularly - there will always be a lag.

Only the mark 1 eyeball on the road signage should be complied with.

Yeah but new drivers don't know that who have had to include these devices into their driving experience when they passed their test. Thats my point.

+Quote Post
post Fri, 22 May 2020 - 21:35
Post #20

Member No.: 47,602

OP, a satnav is used on the driving test to give directions, not to indicate speed limits. Your partner will know that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:22
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here