PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

car bought with undisclosed issue, Dodgy deals!
mashman36
post Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 21:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,027

Friend of mine bought a car from a car supermarket took for a test drive all was good had a good look around, all good so did the deal.
Now the dealer said it would service and mot the car because of shift patterns my mate couldn't pick it up for another 7 to 10 days.
So they picks it up and off they go down the motorway a sedate 2 hour drive back home .
As they leave the motorway onto the country lanes the car starts a very loud knock and banging from the front end they get out and check to find the the suspension strut leg is detached and loose causing damage to the inner wing .
They call the dealer who says the car was MOTD no issues but has been in the sold compound for 7 to 10 days!!!!
They are saying that they must have hit a pothole on the way home dislodging the leg.
The friend got in touch with trading standards who said they have no chance of making a claim under the sale of goods act as how can the prove otherwise .
They have had an engineer report and the cost of repair is into the thousands.
Can anyone advise otherwise or another approach.

This post has been edited by mashman36: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 21:37
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 21:30
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 23:55
Post #2

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 21:30) *
Friend of mine bought a car from a car supermarket took for a test drive all was good had a good look around, all good so did the deal.
Now the dealer said it would service and mot the car because of shift patterns my mate couldn't pick it up for another 7 to 10 days.
So they picks it up and off they go down the motorway a sedate 2 hour drive back home .
As they leave the motorway onto the country lanes the car starts a very loud knock and banging from the front end they get out and check to find the the suspension strut leg is detached and loose causing damage to the inner wing .
They call the dealer who says the car was MOTD no issues but has been in the sold compound for 7 to 10 days!!!!
They are saying that they must have hit a pothole on the way home dislodging the leg.
The friend got in touch with trading standards who said they have no chance of making a claim under the sale of goods act as how can the prove otherwise .

Where had the suspension strut become detached ...which end ?
Did the friend get a print out of the MOT result or check it on the VOSA site . Any advisories?
What Trading Standards says sounds nonsense .
I was going to suggest an engineers report or a VOSA opinion but I see the former has been obtained ...do you know exactly what it said re the possible cause.
Can your friend post here him/herself as first hand replies can usually be better .

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 10:35
Post #3

Member No.: 38,559

A suspension strut fell off ????
Immediately after passing an MOT?
Are we talking the main leg, What used to be called MacPherson Struts, long leg from wheel hub to inner wing top and usually with a spring on it?

Suspension legs do not just fall off and not by hitting a pothole unless there was significant wear already present.
Or the fixing bolts were not tight/missing.
Neither of which could be put down to your friend in two hours.

+Quote Post
kommando
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 10:39
Post #4

Member No.: 57,558

Pothole database, compare with route to show if there were any or not.

https://www.potholes.co.uk/

+Quote Post
mickR
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 11:19
Post #5

Member No.: 9,919

So the car was mot'd, sat in their compound going nowhere then the leg broke at first use?
I suspect if it was the actual leg ie as per DD the McPherson strut it would have to be the top mount so either the shocker nut came off and the strut dropped out of the mount or the top mount broke or the bolts broke/came out. Neither of which I would suggest could happen due to a pot hole unless it was the type Bear Grylls explores.
Nice try by car supermarket but not going to stand up.
So...Some questions
1. what car is it?
2. Do you have any photos of the damage?
3. What exactly did the engineer say was wrong, which parts broken?
4. What exactly did the engineer think caused it?
5. What does the estimate to repair say?

Oh and forget trading standards unroll you can gain expert analysis as to cause.

This post has been edited by mickR: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 11:29

+Quote Post
Jimzzr
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 18:06
Post #6

Member No.: 2,564

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Sun, 28 Jan 2018 - 21:30) *

Was this MOT'd just before sale? IF so check the MOT history to see if any work was done to the suspension. Hitting a pot hole hard enough to cause a strut to fall off (if it wasn't falling off already) would also have trashed the wheel/tyre for certain.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 18:29
Post #7

Member No.: 317

Consumer right act appears to apply, less than six months, the onus is on the seller to show no fault at point of sale.

Contacting the previous RK via the details on the V5C may prove fruitful.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mashman36
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 18:58
Post #8

Waiting for v5 and full engineers report .strange how it was MOTD in house along with the service.
It's an AMG Merc top of strut into body loose

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 19:13
Post #9

Member No.: 317

so is it strut loose from top mount or top mount loose from body? Any sign of stripped threads/broken studs or are there bits missing?

In house MOTs are rarely worth the cheap paper they are printed on, I had a car with an in house MOT and the front pads were held in by a bent over 4” nail instead of the proper pin.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mashman36
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 19:34
Post #10

Waiting to see full report n pics
Mates on shift so I will have to wait al get back with more info soon.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 20:37
Post #11

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 18:58) *
Waiting for v5 and full engineers report .strange how it was MOTD in house along with the service.
It's an AMG Merc top of strut into body loose

Oh yeah the struts are always falling off them when you hit a bump rolleyes.gif

Yep first engineers report, then tell car supermarket you're reporting them to vosa for dodgy mot testing on in house cars, trading standards, and your solicitor offering free first consultation.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 22:15
Post #12

In house MOTs are still controlled by VOSA.
I wonder what they would say.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 22:39
Post #13

Member No.: 9,683

I reckon DVSA would have a thing or two to say to said in-house testers. They might just be suspicious if everything passed first time for some reason.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 22:50
Post #14

QUOTE (roythebus @ Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 22:39) *
I reckon DVSA would have a thing or two to say to said in-house testers. They might just be suspicious if everything passed first time for some reason.

Yes Roy and as you know DVSA (VOSA) do take these things seriously.

I had an issue with a Lexus main dealer who failed father in laws Lexus on 2 rear shocks at £750 each plus additional stuff. Took it to my 2 local garages who found no faults at all. Checked with vosa who said to contact garage and if still concerned they would take a look. I said to service manager, I appreciate mot within parameters is subjective to individual testers opinion but 2 to 1 would suggest vosa did the mot. A grovlling apology and a free full service was a bribe Not to contact vosa resolution.

This post has been edited by mickR: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 22:51

+Quote Post
spanner345
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 10:02
Post #15

Member No.: 14,394

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 19:13) *
so is it strut loose from top mount or top mount loose from body? Any sign of stripped threads/broken studs or are there bits missing?

In house MOTs are rarely worth the cheap paper they are printed on, I had a car with an in house MOT and the front pads were held in by a bent over 4” nail instead of the proper pin.

If the bent nail is securing the pads, why should this be an mot problem?

--------------------
ARSE DRINK FECK........

DRINK MORE
TOILET DUCK
50 mls vodka
50 mls Red Bull
330 mls Blue Wkd
25 mls tequila

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:11
Post #16

QUOTE (spanner345 @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 10:02) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 29 Jan 2018 - 19:13) *

If the bent nail is securing the pads, why should this be an mot problem?

In itself it probably isn't really a problem but what it could suggest is a lackadaisical approach to other things which could matter .

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:28
Post #17

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:11) *
.....In itself it probably isn't really a problem but what it could suggest is a lackadaisical approach to other things which could matter .

But that would be for an MOT inspector to check.
Many pads were (maybe still are but not seen any for a long time) held in with two pins, through caliper and pads then held in place with clips or a split pin.
A nail of appropriate size with end bent to prevent it coming out is a bodge but not necessarily unsafe.

On original, I am still trying to work out how a strut comes loose from top unless it was insecure to start with or bust.
Either way vehicle is/was not roadworthy at time of sale and unless they seller can show something solid to point to this being the buyer's fault, they are IMO liable.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 17:05
Post #18

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:28) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:11) *
.....In itself it probably isn't really a problem but what it could suggest is a lackadaisical approach to other things which could matter .

But that would be for an MOT inspector to check.

Well that depends on what ( if any ) other work was done by whoever used the bent nail . The MOT could well be done a long time after that work so I dont agree with your reasoning . Same could of course be said of any work done on a car by a garage or the car owner.
I do agree with what you say about the strut tho’... appears the seller is at it

+Quote Post
mickR
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 18:44
Post #19

Always remembering of course, an MOT only confirms conformity of test requirements at the time of inspection.

As for the nail I'm not sure I see a problem with that as long as it it secure.
Had it been a cable tie tho....

This post has been edited by mickR: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 18:43

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 18:47
Post #20

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 17:05) *
.....Well that depends on what ( if any ) other work was done by whoever used the bent nail . The MOT could well be done a long time after that work so I dont agree with your reasoning . Same could of course be said of any work done on a car by a garage or the car owner.

All I'm saying on the bent nail is that it would possibly be seen as a bodge not a fail by an MOT inspector.
They have some latitude in what is dangerous and what is not.
And that the inspector may well decide to look closely at other items "just in case" because it is a bodge.
But they can only fail on items they find.

You can have it the other way.
Friend of mine got a fail on, amongst other things, split pin missing from track rod nut.
It was a nyloc rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 20th November 2018 - 08:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.