PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

DM but interesting., And worrying if true!
Neil B
post Thu, 2 Aug 2018 - 20:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,671

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-60...s-work-van.html

Apart from the stupidity --- the power to stop traffic ?

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 2 Aug 2018 - 20:30
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 2 Aug 2018 - 21:27
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989, s 5(5).

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 16:44
Post #3

Member No.: 90,659

Bullshit story from DM as usual.

If his story is true then he would be S26 exemption as "a carrier which only transports waste produced by the carrier itself, except where it is construction or demolition waste (and “construction” includes improvement, repair and alteration).

However, the story gets less credible when he says it was a "two foot" bag of rubbish. How much lunch is he eating, and how long is he keeping it for, to have a bag that big?

Also he is a roofer. When we had our roof done they took the waste away in their van. Unless he is very parsimonious he must be the first roofer in the county who doesn't need to transport waste.

One would imagine the council may have better photos then those in the article.

If his story is true take it to court and get an easy win with S26, then spend the Daily Mail money from the article on beer. And get a free licence which should be adequate if you arent producing any waste from your trade.

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 17:17
Post #4

Member No.: 16,066

John Humphreys did an interview on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning. He had the transgressor and a council rep on. It was only about 10 minutes from the end of the programme if you find it on the BBC website.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 17:52
Post #5

Member No.: 1,326

A Waltham Forest Council spokesman said: 'The waste in this case was being transported in commercial refuse bag in the trader’s vehicle.

'Regardless of what the items are, if waste is being stored in a commercial refuse bag in a trader’s van it is necessary that they have a valid waste carriers’ license (sic).

DM and John Humphries seem to be missing the point.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 19:18
Post #6

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 18:52) *
A Waltham Forest Council spokesman said: 'The waste in this case was being transported in commercial refuse bag in the trader’s vehicle.

'Regardless of what the items are, if waste is being stored in a commercial refuse bag in a trader’s van it is necessary that they have a valid waste carriers’ license (sic).

DM and John Humphries seem to be missing the point.

Presumably if the bag had Smith and Wesson logos on it, he would have needed a firearms licence rolleyes.gif
Council do seem to be saying there was more then a few crisp packets but if they are intent on progressing to court if he does not pay the FPN, they'll need more then that.
How about a few bent nails, a bit of roofing felt and a broken tile biggrin.gif

It's ridiculous, if he is carrying waste, do him but every time a council stretches the point, they end up looking ridiculous.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 19:35
Post #7

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 20:18) *
It's ridiculous, if he is carrying waste, do him but every time a council stretches the point, they end up looking ridiculous.

Councils often end up looking ridiculous in court, I recently saw them prosecute an anti-social driving case where there evidence consisted of a couple of statements, guilty plea, and they asked for over 1k in prosecution costs. If they'd given me the statements I could have prosecuted the same case for around £20.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 19:55
Post #8

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 20:35) *
……... and they asked for over 1k in prosecution costs. If they'd given me the statements I could have prosecuted the same case for around £20.

Dig out some of the adjudicator's awards to councils from PCN hearings.
Aren't many but chalk and cheese compared to what Joe Public get if costs are awarded.
Worse if it gets to appeal...…
From one in last year's LT report where a guy had sought judicial review and been refused...
"Costs of £540 for the preparation of the acknowledgment of service document were awarded to the London Borough of Southwark"

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 19:56

+Quote Post
youkip
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 20:13
Post #9

Member No.: 99,221

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/02...isp-packets-van

A white van man has been hit with a £300 fine after sandwich wrappers and crisp packets were found inside his work van.

Roofer Stewart Gosling, 43, was punished with the on-the-spot penalty after a stash of waste he kept in a plastic commercial waste bag was found in the back of his vehicle.

Waltham Forest Council workers told Mr Gosling he was breaking the law for carrying the rubbish without permission when they carried out spot checks in east London.

Mr Gosling has tried to appeal the fine but has been told he will end up in court if he doesn't pay the penalty issued at the roadside.

He said:

"It's so infuriating. The working-class man gets penalised for going to work basically.
I've not fly-tipped. I've not left it in someone's garden. It's frustrated the hell out of me.
There was just a bag of rubbish, bottles, crisp packets, newspapers and sandwich wrappers.
What gets me is the lack of common sense. It's a lot of money for one bag of rubbish."

The roofing contractor was driving through Chingford in north east London when he was pulled over by council workers.

They searched his vehicle before asking him if he had a waste carriers' licence, which are required by any business that transports commercial refuse.

Stewart from Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, was handed a fixed penalty notice for "failure to furnish documentation (waste carriers licence)".

He was ordered to pay £300 within 14 days of May 23, when the incident occurred. He said he plans to settle the fine.

A Waltham Forest Council spokesman said: "The waste in this case was being transported in commercial refuse bag in the trader's vehicle.

"Regardless of what the items are, if waste is being stored in a commercial refuse bag in a trader's van it is necessary that they have a valid waste carriers' license."

+Quote Post
Korting
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 20:35
Post #10

Member No.: 37,524

If indicated to stop by a person other than a Police Officer in uniform, do you have to stop?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 21:04
Post #11

QUOTE (Korting @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 21:35) *
If indicated to stop by a person other than a Police Officer in uniform, do you have to stop?

Depends who that other person is and what the circumstances are.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 22:12
Post #12

Surely careless driving if not.

A while back a chap flagged me down at 11pm to say there was an injured deer generally getting in everyone's way in the road ahead. I doubt anyone would have been amus

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 22:49
Post #13

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Korting @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 21:35) *

Depends, Highways Officers are not police but they have a power to stop traffic, police officers exercising powers under the firearms don't need to be in uniform to stop traffic, the possibilities are (almost) endless.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 22:52
Post #14

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 23:12) *

It’s not careless driving to fail to stop for some random muppet, no.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Fri, 3 Aug 2018 - 23:28
Post #15

Member No.: 59,097

A while back a chap flagged me down at 11pm to say there was an injured deer generally getting in everyone's way in the road ahead. I doubt anyone would have been amus

" Careless driving" what planet are you on?

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 10:20
Post #16

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 00:28) *

" Careless driving" what planet are you on?

Given the sudden and truncated end, let's hope he wasn't posting from his phone while cycling through a chicane. smile.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 12:27
Post #17

Of course it is if you round the corner and smash into the back of someone.

"Yes officer I saw someone at the side of the road trying to flag me down but I had no obligation to stop so I continued at 60mph into the back of the pile up."

"Quite alright sir, they didn't have any legal power to stop you, and I can see how careful and competent you were being."

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 13:36
Post #18

Member No.: 16,066

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 13:27) *
smash into the back of someone.

How could they flag you down with their back to you???????????

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 13:44
Post #19

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 14:36) *
QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 13:27) *
smash into the back of someone.

How could they flag you down with their back to you???????????

Happens to Wily Coyote all the time... biggrin.gif
Beep beep.... whoosh

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 4 Aug 2018 - 13:46
Post #20

I'm sure with a little imagination you could enviage passing someone flagging you down before a blind corner or brow of a hill, beyond which is the hazard.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 11:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here